Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

The basis behind it in pigs isto prevent things like mad cow desease and salmonella, I don't know what idiot thought of making it applicable to poultry but thier digestive system doesn't breed or pass on the disease in the same way a pig or a ruminating animal does. If the anti swill law was actually applied in full the barrostock layer pellets and several other brands would be illegal- see the warning not for use with swine or ruminating animals.

And now I've read your link, all the things listed is what I was saying. Feeding the stuff yo pigs spreads the diseases listed, feeding to ruminating animals not only spreads the disease but usually create more aggressive strains at the same time, but the viruses will just pass through a chicken without being breed or absorbed. I'm guessing that the QLD law was written the way it was so that they could easily prosecute any for possession or production of swill without having to prove use.

Swill laws are there to protect everyone. Business that sell or give food to farmers to feed their animals can be prosecuted and fined up to $10,000 What one person deems safe for animal consumption might not be the case. Swill is not only any product containing meat or dairy, it is also most bakery goods. Salmonella can make you very ill and in some cases kill you, so what it all comes down to is always wash your hands after handling your chickens and their eggs and don't feed them anything you wouldn't eat. Rancid and mouldy food belongs in the bin , not in your chickens.

Fancy  ...  you must be so proud a Mum to have your daughter already in the state squad.    That is fantastic.  And yes, it must be a huge climb to the top - but ... dreams, as you said, can come true.  

Looked up Chris Chugg ... fascinating stories he had to tell.   He mostly rides his own horses, here and elsewhere.   I hope he does well and gets into the Olympic team.     

Keeping your own horse in tip-top condition is probably more of a challenge than the rider being in good athletic condition ... after all,  the human can avoid trouble ( horses seem to have a penchant for getting themselves into trouble ;)  ) ... and a rider can be far more careful about their exercise and fitness routines.   Then there is the travel, interstate, overseas which has it's own peculiar problems.   It is a long hard row to hoe.   And not all riders, ride their own horses - as well you know.   They are 'employed' ( don't know the correct expression for that ) to ride ( because of their reputation as a rider ) a candidates horse - be it here or overseas, for very high level competitions.  

I could go on for pages probably, but this is " Backyard Chickens " - - - not " Cosseted and Well Kept  Horses."  :lol:

Good luck for all your daughter does, rides in, and competes for.    

Cheers ......   

Proud for sure. Chuggy is a nice guy, he has a lot of very expensive horses at his beck and call.
Our daughter met him and competed against him , he was very impressed with her and her $ 500 ottt placing 13th after him at nationals on his 3 million dollar stallion.
One of our coaches sons is also on the shortlist for Rio, Matt Williams, if he is selected this will be his 3rd olympics. Unfortunately there are 4 people vying for 2 spots.
Australia has in the last few months lost several horses overseas to colic, horses that cannot be replaced as they are selected as horse/rider combinations.
Not at all like basketball, where you pop the ball in the baggage hold and forget about it.

I have been having trouble posting for the last week, but I have been keeping track of conversations. Not being able to post saved you all my 2bobs worth a few times.

On the topic of swill, forget the dictionary definition - it is the definition under the legislation that you need to be concerned with. You are not allowed to feed swill to poultry, including backard birds, anywhere in Australia.

It is illegal to protect us from diseases we don't yet have in the country. It is preventative.

What is swill?
Swill is defined as food (or food scraps) that contains animal matter, or vegetable waste that has been contaminated by animal matter (termed animal-contaminated matter). Animal matter is defined as any meat or meat product and any illegally imported dairy products. It also includes chicken meat. Swill cannot be fed to livestock, including pigs, poultry or ruminants. Dogs and cats are not considered livestock.
The threat to livestock
Swill feeding is illegal in Australia because of the serious risk of introducing diseases that are not present here. Swill feeding has been implicated in overseas disease outbreaks, including the 2001 foot and mouth disease in the United Kingdom.

Diseases that can be introduced as a consequence of swill feeding include:

foot and mouth disease
African swine fever
classical swine fever (hog cholera)
Aujeszky's disease
swine vesicular disease
Newcastle disease in poultry
vesicular stomatitis
transmissible gastroenteritis.
These viruses could be found even in small amounts of meat or dairy product and if included in swill and fed to pigs, poultry or ruminants, could establish an exotic (or foreign) disease in our livestock. Once a disease agent is introduced in this way it could rapidly spread among different types of livestock. If an exotic disease is detected in Australia, then countries importing our livestock products could close their markets and ban our products. Regaining markets is then a difficult and long-term process.

Running a few pigs or poultry and using swill as a cheap source of stock feed, is an illegal and dangerous practice that puts our national agricultural industries at risk.

Many viruses are highly resistant to chilling, freezing and curing. Experience has shown that even boiling swill may not destroy all disease organisms. The surest approach, therefore, to protect our livestock is for the practice to be banned.

Howdy folks
frow.gif

Totally out of character for me to be AWOL for 3 days and now I have some catching up to do. No reason as such, just work being a little on the hectic side and as you all can relate, things to do, so little time
wink.png

Fizzybelle tee hee, I love Ada’s hidden nest.

appps I have been ducking in and reading posts and I had everything crossed that Colonel was going to pull through. I am so very sorry to hear that was not the case
hit.gif
hugs.gif

SilkieChickStar how is your little Silkie doing?

Ash your birds are just beautiful! Belated happy birthday to your doggedy also.

Fancy good to read that you escaped the flooding. Love the pic of Dutchy and those little bubs-in-a-bowl are adorable!

Congrats on the bubs sjturner79, so cute!

Plodding along nicely here with no news of note. Feathered, furred and finned overlords are all well and keeping their servants entertained.

Cilla is so cute .. every afternoon when she is let out for free range, she does this funny little happy dance. Crystal is no longer doing waif impersonations and now has a beautiful covering of feathers. Poor Dusty, however, is still moulting with feathers stopping half way up her neck, she kinda looks like a vulture at the moment!
roll.png

No eggs since the 20th of April and a grand total of 8 eggs in 8 weeks
hmm.png
LuLu's last egg was the 13th of December, I am starting to think that is it for her; early retirement
wink.png

Last edited:
LuckysMum .... this subject has been addressed here on several occasions, and I know others will either agree or disagree with it.

Thing is, it is apparently illegal to feed 'swill' .... to animals and birds. Not just to pigs who always were fed 'swill' years back .... but perhaps now embraces all kinds of production animals and birds. Meat animals / birds in particular ( ?? ) .... and chickens, with eggs for sale to the public.

That is how I read the situation. As far as I am concerned, backyard chickens who give their owners lovely eggs ( when they are laying that is !! ) .... perhaps should not be bound by the anti-swill rules and regulations. Swill is categorised as any scraps that are edible for an animal, that has been cooked, grated, chopped up raw, .... whatever .... i.e. kitchen scraps or goodies that were not eaten from plates etc. etc..

Swill used to consist of a lot of milk from dairy farmers, in the past, mixed with heaven knows what for pigs in particular to grub into.

I am sure others here can answer your question better than I can, and the following link will explain it all. Seems it is Queensland that is most strict about it .

http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-is-swil...o-pigs-poultry-or-other-farm-animals_559.html

Mostly aimed at the pig industry, but also includes poultry.

I find it fascinating that anything that has 'touched' a meat product, is banned. e.g. ( from the above site ) ....

• "any food cooked with, or that has been in contact with, meat, meat products or meat by-products"

How on earth anyone is expected to observe that is beyond me - especially for pet chickens that produce lovely eggs for family and friends, and are not sold on a commercial basis. ?????? And there is a comment about fish meal and feather meal ?? Gotta go out there tomorrow and tell my girls to quit picking out the odd feather and munching on it !! ( through their moults, they have an occasional pick at their own feathers )
barnie.gif
,,,,,,,, LOL.

I know my girls have been given kitchen scraps that have been in touch with meat !!! .... But - rules is rules ... and best to find out if those rules apply in West Australia as well - - - and how far it is expected to go ?
idunno.gif

I ain't enquiring about Victorian rules, at this point in time
wink.png

Cheers ........
There are a lot of stupid laws around that sensible people ignore. xxxx

Day 4 of medicated water and my silkie chick "Felicity" is finally looking a lot more lively. She hasn't stopped eating today in fact. Fingers crossed we are over the worst of it, I really wasn't sure she would make it!! Not all the way through it yet I hope she keeps improving.

Meanwhile the girls in the quarantine yard are loving life.

@appps I am so sorry about the colonel :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom