Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Can anyone help me with suggestions on whether my patridge silkie is a she or he, 15 weeks old today. Thanks

NEED HELP!!
I have received an email about phoenix chickens!! They have some birds and eggs for sale, but they are in Tasmania! Is it possibly to get them shipped to me? I live in Dapto NSW. Please help
sad.png

Both of those eggs look to have been ' body checked ' . The same amount of shell is released by the shell gland to cover each egg, so the danger is that if the shell is thin it may break up inside the hen and cause complications. Be sure to have a calcium supplement on free take in the coop.
smile.png

Hi, I had a mineral block for chooks but they never used it and walked on it till it disintegrated. the food I give them has shell grit. how does the calcium stuff come? none of the other chooks seem to be having this problem, maybe she doesn't like the shells?

NEED HELP!!
I have received an email about phoenix chickens!! They have some birds and eggs for sale, but they are in Tasmania! Is it possibly to get them shipped to me? I live in Dapto NSW. Please help:(  

Yep , there is a couple that transport from southern Tasmania called ' connec ' will try to find their number.
That's for live birds, I send eggs all over Australia. Where are the breeders ?

Last edited:
Hi, I had a mineral block for chooks but they never used it and walked on it till it disintegrated.  the food I give them has shell grit.  how does the calcium stuff come?  none of the other chooks seem to be having this problem, maybe she doesn't like the shells?

You can buy calcium carbonate in powder form but it should only be offered on free take. The other alternative is added to the water in the form of calcivet. :)

Howdy folks
frow.gif

LuckysMum on yeah, I didn’t think of how many eggs a day you would be getting with all your new charges .. it must be heaps!

Fancy those nest boxes look pretty cool. I was thinking I could put some in the Princess Palace, making sure they were well spaced but the little munchkins would probably still squabble and all try and fit in one!
roll.png

Anniebee sorry, I had a chuckle at Mandy and the Currawong .. she is a rascal!
wink.png

SilkieChickStar ah yes, bed time can be very amusing
lau.gif

Your new arrivals are beautiful jessbonnitcha … congratulations! Congrats also on the Phoenix find. I see Fancy has given good advice [as always] regarding the shipping but if I can chime in with my 5 cents worth .. I recommend ordering a few more than you plan on hatching as, depending on how well they are packaged, you might lose a few to breakage. I have had both good and bad experiences with shipped eggs.

sweetbeak Not that I would even trust my judgement when it comes to sexing Silkies, I think your Partridge might be a rooster; sorry if that was not what you wanted to hear
sad.png
But, again, sexing Silkies is definitely not my forte'.

So, in news from Bambrook Bantams, Crystal was a good girl today and did not really start kicking up a stink until the 3pm mark when she wanted out and that is the norm. She did have a couple of ‘I want out’ shouting sessions earlier in the day but I ignored her and she gave up
clap.gif

GodCilla has spent two days in broody jail, with nights on the roost. This afternoon I thought I would see how she went with the rest of the flock on free range. When I first let her out, she had a wander around, had some meal worms and was ‘playing nice’. She did chase Chucky away from his dinner but he is a wild bird and them’s the breaks. She halfheartedly tried to peck LuLu but LuLu ducked and ran. A bit later, she did manage to get a peck on Crystal but again, only halfhearted. However, she went back to the broody jail after she jumped on Blondie’s back and proceeded to hammer into her head like a woodpecker on a tree! GodCilla is not done with yet
hide.gif

Last edited:
Shadow my bantam Langshan laid another egg today 45 grams!!! How does someone so little lay such a decent size egg!? It's only her 3rd one

It was bigger than Aurora the bantam araucana's egg today.

Last edited:
Can anyone help me with suggestions on whether my patridge silkie is a she or he, 15 weeks old today. Thanks

Looks like a pullet for now, doesn't have a rooster tail yet, and the comb seems to be fairly forward, they go future back on a boy,
However silkie are very hard to sex properly until after 26 weeks old.

NEED HELP!!
I have received an email about phoenix chickens!! They have some birds and eggs for sale, but they are in Tasmania! Is it possibly to get them shipped to me? I live in Dapto NSW. Please help:(  

Eggs can be sent via post, for live birds you wil need Noel from connec Tas to bring them to the mainland (Melbourne) and then Sammies pet express or another animal transit company to bring them up to you.
Just for an idea of cost it would have been $120 to get a bantam silkie rooster from Tas to me in SA.
If you have face book that is the best way to get on to Sammies, and connec Tas is there too. Failing that I can grab Noel's number if you want.

Of course the other option is drive to Melbourne, catch the ferry to Tas, collect the chickens your self and the come back on the ferry and drive home.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom