Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

I found rats particularly smart when it comes to traps, however, he is old and probably quite bold now the cats gone. We can hire live traps which you bait with peanut butter. Once they are in the trap you put them in water and drown them or be creative with a pipe and cars petrol exhaust fumes. Not inside your garage of course!

I am only being brave on here. I have just bought expensive bait that only effects rats. I cannot bare the thought of accidentally killing anything else in a flow on effect.

Good luck!

Hi, what is the bait called?

Cheers

It is called Racumin. It is poisonous to all animals in it's raw form, just not from eating the animal that eats the bait.

Please make sure you reseach it as this is what the guy told me in the store. I lost one of my cats this way and we have dogs on either side of our house.

MyHaven ... some pages back you mentioned you have inflammatory arthritis in most all of the joints affected,  starting a couple of years back.   I do empathise with you, absolutely.  Cannot take anti-inflammatories myself, due to another medical condition, and the corticosteroids I was put on recently, shot my blood pressure up alarmingly - and dangerously, so I was taken off them immediately.  I remain now on Panadeine Forte.  Hope I don't have to have stronger in pain management.   I have osteo in other joints too, which are painful / uncomfortable at times, but nothing like this recent lot.

Cheers .....       

Hi, I have a condition that is inflaming all my joints. It is not arthritis and not lupus or anything bad they say as I have been tested for all that. When I asked if they had tested for limes disease they said they don't test for that. I personally know two people with it so it must be common enough to test for it.

They were just giving me drugs to try to see if that alienated the symptoms instead of looking for the cause.

Anyway - that's another story. So they do not know what I have. I am trying not to take medication but I know when I did I couldn't believe how good it felt to be pain free. I sat in my recliner and thought - I'm not lazy, ( not feeling like housework) I'm just in pain! I had no idea how much pain I was in until I wasn't in it.

I found rats particularly smart when it comes to traps, however, he is old and probably quite bold now the cats gone. We can hire live traps which you bait with peanut butter. Once they are in the trap you put them in water and drown them or be creative with a pipe and cars petrol exhaust fumes. Not inside your garage of course!

I am only being brave on here. I have just bought expensive bait that only effects rats. I cannot bare the thought of accidentally killing anything else in a flow on effect.

Good luck!

I use peanut butter/paste too. For mice traps and rat traps, it dries a bit and they can't get it off very easily.

Yeah I used peanut butter on bread on the trap, but he managed to pull it off without the trap going off. I used to use those live traps for when my pet mice got out in my house, worked really well, but I don't want to have to kill the rat myself so I'll pass on those. I might just persevere with the trap again, but ensure the bait is tied on better. There's also another flock nearby, I don't know what house, but I think they're in the street behind mine, I hear egg songs during the day. No idea how they store the feed for their chickens though, and if I'm starting to get rats again because of that or not.

Fizzybelle I am a real wimp when it comes to actively killing anything. I had a mouse that sustained an injury from a trap and didn't die. I was mortified that it was suffering. The downside of baiting is that they die and rot under the house. They all come with a downside it is just a matter of which one you can stomach.

Yeah I used peanut butter on bread on the trap, but he managed to pull it off without the trap going off. I used to use those live traps for when my pet mice got out in my house, worked really well, but I don't want to have to kill the rat myself so I'll pass on those. I might just persevere with the trap again, but ensure the bait is tied on better. There's also another flock nearby, I don't know what house, but I think they're in the street behind mine, I hear egg songs during the day. No idea how they store the feed for their chickens though, and if I'm starting to get rats again because of that or not.

I put peanut butter straight on the trap not on bread. That way there is nothing to tie down, you don't need to put much on that way they can't get it off.

I put peanut butter straight on the trap not on bread. That way there is nothing to tie down, you don't need to put much on that way they can't get it off.

Hmmm he might just lick it off, he's a crafty one, but I can try it and see. No luck tonight, but I saw him scurrying away in the backyard when my torch hit him so I know he's still around.
Fizzybelle I am a real wimp when it comes to actively killing anything. I had a mouse that sustained an injury from a trap and didn't die. I was mortified that it was suffering. The downside of baiting is that they die and rot under the house. They all come with a downside it is just a matter of which one you can stomach.

Yeah it's the running away to die, then the chooks finding a poisoned carcass I don't like. Too bad I can't reason with him, I actually really like rats and mice, just not the type that could make my pets sick.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

Hey Fizzybelle the coop lappers have not driven me crazy [yet]
wink.png

We had a couple of rats a while ago and I also used a snap trap with peanut butter to catch them. All I did was put the trap out at night outside the run when the girls were locked in and had gone to bed and then removed it in the morning before letting them out. It took a few nights but I got them. Also got a cane toad who survived
wink.png

LoveInNature welcome to the thread; great to see you here.

MyHaven sorry to hear about your joints, I hope you remain pain free.

Back
Top Bottom