Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Good morning friends :hugs

Seriously? Enough with the rain. It can stop any time now please :fl Just this week it has rained for 4 days straight with 100mm falling in just a 2 hour period.

Yes, rain is good; Yes, the lawn and green tree frogs are loving it; Yes, I am over it! :p
So true mate. It has stopped here this morning but suppossed to rain for the next 2 days.

Hi Everyone, its been a while since I jumped online. I'm hoping for some advice on a chick related question. My Cricket and Magnolia (silkie bantams) are broody, they've been sitting on fertile D'uccle eggs for 15 days now. Eggs candled (D8, D10, D14) and all looks good. Before they started sitting on the eggs I moved the girls into my quarantine coop to separate them from the flock. (Note: I haven't had to use the quarantine coop yet). My question may be silly but I thought it best to ask anyways. Once the chicks hatch will they be able to get up and down the ramp? I've seen plenty of brood box pics and they're all single level so it got me wondering if my 2 story mini coop will be ok? If Yes, do you think I should put drawer liner on the ramp so they don't slip and remove the roosting perches inside?
Quarantine Coop.jpg Inside QCoop.jpg

Hi Everyone, its been a while since I jumped online. I'm hoping for some advice on a chick related question. My Cricket and Magnolia (silkie bantams) are broody, they've been sitting on fertile D'uccle eggs for 15 days now. Eggs candled (D8, D10, D14) and all looks good. Before they started sitting on the eggs I moved the girls into my quarantine coop to separate them from the flock. (Note: I haven't had to use the quarantine coop yet). My question may be silly but I thought it best to ask anyways. Once the chicks hatch will they be able to get up and down the ramp? I've seen plenty of brood box pics and they're all single level so it got me wondering if my 2 story mini coop will be ok? If Yes, do you think I should put drawer liner on the ramp so they don't slip and remove the roosting perches inside?
View attachment 1164640View attachment 1164642

I have a ramp on my broody pen, probably not quite as steep as yours.

The chicks have no problem following mumma down the ramp usually; the problem is getting back up at bed time.

Mumma hen goes up the ramp at bed time and calls her little ones and will most likely run up and down the ramp a few times trying to get them to follow. What I usually do, when she is ready for bed, is pick the chicks up and put them in the nest or try and encourage them up the ramp. You only have to do this for may be the first week or so for going back up and they get the hang of it. As I said, going down they usually have no problem.

I fashioned a small ‘table-like’ structure that slipped in underneath the ramp so if one of the little ones did fall off the ramp, they dropped onto that platform and not all the way to ground.

Good luck with the hatch!

I have a ramp on my broody pen, probably not quite as steep as yours.

The chicks have no problem following mumma down the ramp usually; the problem is getting back up at bed time.

Mumma hen goes up the ramp at bed time and calls her little ones and will most likely run up and down the ramp a few times trying to get them to follow. What I usually do, when she is ready for bed, is pick the chicks up and put them in the nest or try and encourage them up the ramp. You only have to do this for may be the first week or so for going back up and they get the hang of it. As I said, going down they usually have no problem.

I fashioned a small ‘table-like’ structure that slipped in underneath the ramp so if one of the little ones did fall off the ramp, they dropped onto that platform and not all the way to ground.

Good luck with the hatch!
Thanks Teila for the advice, I'll do exactly as you've done. Great idea on the little table underneath as I definitely don't want the little babies falling off the ramp and hurting themselves. Thanks

View attachment 1164640View attachment 1164642
I'd be inclined to contain them downstairs until they are at least a week old. It's not uncommon for a chick to get separated from mum and die overnight, so better to be safe than sorry. I've got hens sitting in all kinds of precarious places, but once the chicks hatch I put them all in a guinea pig style hutch.

I'd be inclined to contain them downstairs until they are at least a week old. It's not uncommon for a chick to get separated from mum and die overnight, so better to be safe than sorry. I've got hens sitting in all kinds of precarious places, but once the chicks hatch I put them all in a guinea pig style hutch.

Thanks Fancychooklady. I do have a guinea pig hutch that I converted to a brood box so I might be able to attach that to the run on the quarantine hutch and unscrew the ramp so they can't get up top. I'll put the ramp back when they're a bit older. This arrangement may even give me easier access to them so I can check on them without disturbing them too much. Appreciate the advice.
Brood box.jpg

Back
Top Bottom