Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

I don't think you can ever entirely fox proof a yard, sadly. Like you said, they even come out in daylight to hunt. I'm sorry to hear you're losing some of yours to the cunning little buggers, sparky.

Btw, I'm anna, and I live in Wallacia, a semi rural place south of Penrith in NSW. I've got 3 awesome muscovies and am hoping to get my chookies in the new year. I'm not sure of what breed yet, as I'm worried about them in the heat. They will have a coop for nights but I want them to free range in the day. My yard has heaps of shade, but I still worry about overheating. It's been bloody hot, especially the last few weeks.

What breeds do you guys find cope best in our summers? We get only mild frost in winter, so I'm not too concerned about cold.

I’m up in Springwood Nsw and our australorps have been doing really well in both the summer and winter

Brisbane, inherited 3 chooks in a tiny aviary yesterday afternoon. Thanks Gumtree. Batting the heat and humidity trying to put up a run with all the "stuff" hubby has laying around our 2.5 acres. Heat got to me so I've left him out there and with luck by tomorrow the girls should have their house relocated into the shade with a nice run to keep the Border Collie and German Shepherd out. "They onlwant to play, and the dogs won't bother them if they don't move" wisdom from himself!.
We are going to turn an old alumni up garden shed into a new coop for them I. The next few weeks. It will be like the Taj Mahal compared to the cramped conditions they are in now. Aviary is 1.5 x 0.78 x 1.8m. That's just mean.
:welcome:frow

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and living in Australia (Central Coast NSW, ex Sydney, ex Melbourne, ex Newcastle), so I thought I'd say hi.

I had chickens as a child and have recently started a new flock: 2 x Blue Australorps, 2 x Light Sussex, 2 x Lavender Araucanas and 1 Wyandotte. All 7.5 weeks old. I think two are definitely roosters (one is the most human friendly of the bunch!) and so will need re-homing at some point, since our council area doesn't permit them. Love sitting out there with them and chatting to them (everyone else does that right?) and watching their little personalities develop.

Just been reading about the fox problems some of you have been enduring... can anyone from around Tuggerah Lakes area tell me what the fox situation is like? I'm new-ish to the neighbourhood. I can see the potential for foxes here, but haven't actually seen any.

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and living in Australia (Central Coast NSW, ex Sydney, ex Melbourne, ex Newcastle), so I thought I'd say hi.

I had chickens as a child and have recently started a new flock: 2 x Blue Australorps, 2 x Light Sussex, 2 x Lavender Araucanas and 1 Wyandotte. All 7.5 weeks old. I think two are definitely roosters (one is the most human friendly of the bunch!) and so will need re-homing at some point, since our council area doesn't permit them. Love sitting out there with them and chatting to them (everyone else does that right?) and watching their little personalities develop.

Just been reading about the fox problems some of you have been enduring... can anyone from around Tuggerah Lakes area tell me what the fox situation is like? I'm new-ish to the neighbourhood. I can see the potential for foxes here, but haven't actually seen any.
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom