Australian Spotted Ducks

I bought Aussie Spotts a couple years ago from Holderreads. They are a great all round duck to raise. I was thinking about raising them again in a new location . My question is this: last time I ordered I received far more drakes than hens...is that typical ? They are sold unsexed so you don't know what your getting. Thanks

Statistically a straight run should be half of each but it varies. I know two people who got 10 ducklings from Holderreads at the same time, possibly from the same hatch. One got 2 hens with 8 drakes and the other got 7 hens with 3 drakes. With my own ducklings this year, most of the blueheads are hens and most of the greenheads are drakes but that made me happy because I wanted to keep bluehead hens. It just gave me more drakes than hens to sell but I am selling some of the mama ducks with the young drakes to make breeding pairs. I still have nearly 20 pairs to sell because I raised so many this year instead of selling them as ducklings in order to be able to sex them before selling them. I have had people ask me to ship ducks so I need to look into doing that so we can get as many breeding groups started as possible. I also need to see about registering our flock.

Does anyone or will anyone have any breeding pairs or hatching eggs available in the near future? After much reading I've decided to try and obtain some. Finding them very hard to come by in southern wisconsin.

robert

Just got my babies in the mail today. I ordered 10 Australian spotted's and they send two extras! How awesome is that! It might be because I also sent a an order for a silkie

pair in the fall and the total was over $300. So perhaps I got freebies because of that
1f603.png

Does it appear that there arnt any silvers? Because the silvers are mostly all light and yellow I think I've seen some pictures of Australian spotted the clans and there was yellow ones, in some of them, so those must be silvers?

Last edited:
Duckling color forms.

So let me get this straight. I think these there are green head(darkest), blue head(medium dark), and silver head(lightest,especialy in the body.)

Is this true??

Duckling color forms.

So let me get this straight. I think these there are green head(darkest), blue head(medium dark), and silver head(lightest,especialy in the body.)

Is this true??

I believe you have the colors corect, but I also think you have two blues and a green. I got some in recently and the two that I assumed to be silver were much lighter. The attached is the best pic I have of them.

Here is a better picture.

Oh thanks so much bertgwen. I see now, I didn't have any silvers.
The blues and silver have an obvious different look.

I keep one blue female,one green female and a green male. The male was supposed to be a female but I sexed it wrong. Sexed them on day 5 again and it's little Peter popped out and it was obvious I sexed him wrong. Oh well, but now I have a trio and will be able to breed. :) I have a thing against male ducks, like they are evil and will taint my little angle girls into following him and ignoring me. Which isn't true.... Not yet at least. Haha, silly me and my imagination.

We are getting a Dollie adult pair in the fall and I thought I'd make some pure silkies, and some silkie AS crosses. But now I can have pure silkies and pure AS. Go me.
I made sure to keep one blue so to have the opertunity to create silvers in the future.

Back
Top Bottom