Australian Spotted Questions.... *Update with Picture Overload*

pen1124

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 31, 2010
Long Island
So my ducks are now all 7 1/2 weeks old, im thinkin its two boys and a girl because only one makes a distinctive quacking sound. Since Australian spotteds are known to mature much faster, and they've started to flap their wings already, but they haven't gotten off the ground yet, how long till theyll start to fly. Also, what are my chances that they'll return at night once they do fly, since about a mile away from my house, theres two huge ponds, with many other ducks. Thanks so much, ill be sure to post pictures soon.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I don't know...I've had Aussies for a few years, but mine are penned in and their pen is covered. They fly a bit off the ground, just to clear their pool but don't fly high at all. They don't roost in my pen, they like to hide under things and in the big dog house I've got for them. Please post pics...they are the greatest ducks! (along with Mandarins, woodies, etc.....)

Quote:
Sometimes they don't fly. I had one drake (with no other flyers around) that took off (wind) flew around in a small circle and crash landed, that was the only time any of my oz ducks flew. I thought he might fly the fence when I had him isolated from the 3 ducks while the other drake was breeding them but he stayed grounded for that insult. Who knows?~gd

If your ducks make it to a large pond with lots of other ducks, you are unlikely to get them back. A mile would be a very long distance for domestic ducks to travel, so it is doubtful that they will discover the pond.

You guys, im so so so sorry about responding so late, ive been trying forever to get some pictures, and its a real long storry, but i finally got them... Oh and even though i have two boys, i really want to keep the powerpuff girl names, and dont have enough will power to change em
hu.gif

This is the trio when they were in there teenager stage, a little awkward looking, but still adorable

This is Blossom, the only girl i believe... shes daddys spoild little brat haha
love.gif

This is Blossom and her boyfriend Buttercup, they seem to have paired together

This is Bubbles, hes my special boy, because he couldnt hatch on his own due to his beak deformity ( it looks scrunched and crooked) , so i had to do all the work, but i love em

This is butter cup again, and i know my photography skills are horrible
th.gif

This is the trio again all grown up with their feathers, the colors are still developing on them though, i seem to find a difference every day

Right here is Blossom and Bubbles goin after a worm , in the end though, bubbles got it
wink.png

And heres a side shot of buttercup, hes my little fisher, he can catch a minnow within a blink of an eye
big_smile.png

Quote:
Oh no im shure they are
big_smile.png
theyre still a little to young to show all of the Aussie markings, but you can really see them better in person, I just got off the phone with the breeder where i got the eggs, and she said by the color and markings that i have a silver head (blossom) and that the other two are blue heads (Buttercup and Bubbles). Here is a link to the breeders page http://silknfeather.weebly.com/australian-spotted-duck.html

I love the coloration on these spots. Where did you get them? mine much more blotchy.

I have a pair of Aussies and I love them! They are about 8 weeks old. Is it normal at this age for the boy to be bigger than the girl? He is really growing, but she is staying pretty small. also, they have been going into the chicken house every night, but last night and again tonight, they did not go in. I had to pick them up and carry them in. They can't stay out at night, too many coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom