Australians - Where are you all????

Thanks for the reply. They free rang in the yard and there is plenty of natural shade . i have been putty ice cubes in their water . its been a bit cooler today. i just love watching them in the yard they have both been very affectionate towards each other today
I agree - I love watching my chooks and hearing their soft cackle as they roam around the yard. Natural shade is, no doubt, the best. How did they go with the ice cubes in the water??
I do that for my dog but she doesn't seem to like them? I'm sure your gals and mine are much relieved for the cooler day(s)

hello 'LordCluckington' and welcome
frow.gif

I'm on Mid Nth Coast NSW, and enjoying a cool damp day
smile.png
with my dog, cat and 5 chooks
Yeah we finally got some much needed rain.

I too tried the ice cubes in the water. It was very hot ,so I spent a lot of time refreshing their water. The ice helped to cool it down, and the more inquisitive hens had to investigate, and while they were there they were drinking. So if you've got an ice maker in your fridge, put it to good use on your feathered friends too.

Hi to everyone, I'm pretty new to this site and was wondering how many australians are among the members.
caf.gif

I am really enjoying this site and come back at least 3 times a day for a read and to get advice. Thanks to everyone who has answered my questions.
hugs.gif

So where are all the Aussies??? Holla Back Aussies with where in this great big land you live.
frow.gif

Me, I'm From NSW a Suburb called Charmhaven Its on the Central Coast of NSW about an hours drive north of sydney.
bun.gif

G'Day! I come from Collie, Western Australia. Visited Uluru but never the Eastern States before!
I'm just a typical Aussie. :)

Chikees123

Hi Fellow chicken owners,
I'm from Ingleburn, an hour SW of Sydney. I've been keeping chooks for over 2yrs starting with 6 Silkies, but following the death of 2 of them I adopted 4 assorted Bantams when their owner moved interstate. Then there was the lovely black Langshan, all alone in a cage in a pet shop. Just had to get her out of there. A few months ago I adopted 3 ex Battery hens (Isa Browns). So at present there is a strange assorted flock of 11, (one of the Bantams died suddenly last year.) Nothing beats having chooks roaming the garden, I find it so relaxing just watching them. Good thing I am not on acreage as I could easily adopt a load more Battery hens to give them a wonderful life of freedom.

Hey dirtgirl, I too have taken in ex battery hens, poor things didn't know what to do when I first free ranged them. Down to the last one now, 'old red' has to be 6 years old, still lays occasionally. I think the world would be a better place if we took in a couple of these poor creatures, and save them from a fate ' worse than death' !

Happy Aussie day to you too!
Sorry it's a bit late. :p

It was my first real day after having spent about 24 hours on a plane. I did nothing in particular. What about you?

Hi everyone! Just a quick note to check in and say I'm sorry I haven't been on recently... It's sad that that seems to be all I've posted on this thread in the last 6 months. You'd think with the school holidays I'd have been able to find more time for BYC, but it seems that that wasn't going to happen. I probably won't be on much this year, since I'm in Yr 12. I've got to go to face-to-face school for one subject (gasp!) and that's THREE TIMES A WEEK!!! I'll have no time left. (For those who are wondering, I'm a correspondence/SOTA student).

Anyway, I have been quite busy chicken-wise... Hatching like crazy since October but am winding up now since we're going away in April and I'm not allowed to have any chicks left then. I've had lots of unfortunately fatalities - including 7 Frizzle-cross chicks (6 to the heat and one to a fox), now I've only got one Frizzle hen left and no chicks, which is sad, so I'm still incubating her eggs. I've got about 180 chickens now - cockerels will be either sold or eaten, pullets will be kept to lay eggs. I've started an egg round which is pretty cool because now I have money! Only I'm not getting enough eggs at the moment, hence al the pullets (I was planning to sell the pullets, but then people kept asking me for eggs...)

I think that's pretty much everyone, and sorry to bore you all if I talk to much! I'm not sure there's anything else to add... No, I had a birthday, so now I'm 17, but apart from that... Happy Australia Day for yesterday!

from Rachel.

Back
Top Bottom