Australians - Where are you all????

Hi Sarah, I have fertile eggs that I post all round Australia if you don't have any luck. I have pure white, partridge , blue partridge and red blue. They are dear little things, but do succumb to the elements. We use to live at floreat park, and the nights can still get very crisp. Good luck with your search! !

Hi Fancychooklady
Thank you for your offer but I have no way to hatch them and I was only wanting 1 of each of the breeds I like, I would have trouble giving up the chicks as they are so cute and I would be too attached, when I get a silkie hen and once she goes clucky (coz we all know it will be a when not an if) I may change my mind and let her hatch some.
Sarah

Hi We are in Cairns and am just needing some advice.  We are new to the keeping chickens and have 2 Araucana's 14 weeks old, a light sussex and a Rhode Island Red. Recently one of our Araucana chicks has started making a quacking noise.  She is healthy from what we can see in every other way and though we thought of the possibility of it turning into a crow it has remained as a quack.  Has anybody experienced anything like this?

Thanks

Sorry I haven't had Araucana's since I was a kid and I can't remember anything about them except ours didn't lay much. Try one on the Araucana threads.
Good luck finding your answer and let us know. It sounds interesting.

Hi We are in Cairns and am just needing some advice. We are new to the keeping chickens and have 2 Araucana's 14 weeks old, a light sussex and a Rhode Island Red. Recently one of our Araucana chicks has started making a quacking noise. She is healthy from what we can see in every other way and though we thought of the possibility of it turning into a crow it has remained as a quack. Has anybody experienced anything like this?

Thanks

Yes ... my one Araucana quacks like a duck - often gives out little moans, and shrieks when she is about to lay ( which is a tad disturbing !! ) ... and occasionally has a go at crowing like a rooster. But a rooster she ain't as she has given us 12 lovely very small greenish eggs, but has given that up as a bad job, as it is Autumn and quite cold down here ( Victoria ) even though we have had some lovely sunny days. As long as your little darling is healthy, that's all that matters, and keep an ear out for more odd sounds coming from the chook house. You'll be surprised at what they can produce. My little Mindy even manages to cluck like a regular hen .... on rare occasions, and loves to be cuddled.

Good luck,

Cheers ....

Only just found this thread lol I am a Brissie girl living in the US in Central Pennsylvania.

Just ordered my first lot of chickens today, 6 barred rock pullets - can't wait for them to arrive mid June!!

Only just found this thread lol I am a Brissie girl living in the US in Central Pennsylvania.

Just ordered my first lot of chickens today, 6 barred rock pullets - can't wait for them to arrive mid June!!

Well hello from home. What are you doing over there? Is this the first time ever you've had chooks?

I am constantly amazed about the differences I learn of on this site about caring for them in different countries - like snow.
Good luck with them.

Living over here with my hubby (American) and our son. Hopefully moving back to Aust in the next 3 years or so.

Yep, this is my first time having chooks (you have no idea how big I smiled and laughed when I saw you'd typed chooks lol, haven't heard that since I left Aust). I ordered them just the other day and should be ready for pick up mid June, got 6 barred rock & I can't wait to get them. We got our coop today (mothers day pressie).

No idea how they will go in the snow but will find out this winter - hopefully it is nothing like last winter - we got about 5-6ft of snow in total all winter. I was sick of seeing after Christmas.

Living over here with my hubby (American) and our son.  Hopefully moving back to Aust in the next 3 years or so.

Yep, this is my first time having chooks (you have no idea how big I smiled and laughed when I saw you'd typed chooks lol, haven't heard that since I left Aust).  I ordered them just the other day and should be ready for pick up mid June, got 6 barred rock & I can't wait to get them.  We got our coop today (mothers day pressie).

No idea how they will go in the snow but will find out this winter - hopefully it is nothing like last winter - we got about 5-6ft of snow in total all winter.  I was sick of seeing after Christmas.

I must admit I made sure I used "chooks" just for you I normally try not to use it here. Post a pic - as I said the differences are fascinating to me. I was reading one post about problems with minks. My biggest problems are crows getting eggs and now them or magpies taking my babies until they are too big for them to take.

Keep me updated on your progress and differences between countries.
Cheers

I visited America recently and kept talking about my chooks... Got a lot of odd looks and a couple of people asked what sort of animal a "chook" was. I'd used it on a forum a couple of weeks before we left for America (some comment about taking 30+ chooks to a poultry sale, I think) and someone replied, asking what a "chook" was. I thought it was pretty obvious, given it was a POULTRY sale I was talking about. It's just the word I (and most of my family) use, and I use it pretty much all the time rather than "chicken", and sometimes I have to catch myself, backspace, and re-type when I use it online.

From what I understand, "chook" is actually a Scots word. See http://stooryduster.co.uk/chook. My grandmother, a Scot who only visited Australia twice in her life, always referred to her girls as "the chooks".

Back
Top Bottom