Australians - Where are you all????

Pics
Was it the Euroa Action you went to?? I heard some news of the low prices there lately. I have never been to one there- more of a meat bird market with a few good birds from top breeders I am told as well. I only go to the smaller club run auctions- where you can talk to the breeders- and the money goes to the club rather than the guy calling the auction. Its a little more personal... and thats the way I like to buy and sell birds.

Buying ducks ( as long as you know how to care for, feed and house an animal ) is never a mistake. They are wonderful birds.

Quote:
Hello,
Emus are very interesting and lots of fun and laughs but the like to be the rulers of the paddock so look out all new comers, the big chase is on. They make me laugh but at times when I let a new mum and her chicks out it can be chaos. One time a rooster came to the top paddock for a visit and I can say he never tried again, thay didn't hurt him but were quick at showing him the way out.
I have Pilgrim geese and a young pair of Chinese, I'm new at the ducks as I bought 3 Muscovies at the last auction I went to and was lucky to to given another 6 young ones, I was told by many "big mistake" but I must say I think it was the most pleasant mistake if that's what you call it, I love them, they are so quite and dosile and easy to manage, even my husband who has always claimed them as ugly ( that's why I bought them ) now loves them. I love the Indian runners and thought of buying some but feared the dogs may decide to go them due to their upright posture, never know maybe one day.
smile.png

Emus sound great. They probably wouldn't fit in our garden though
lol.png
I've petted some at the farm as a young kid though - they ARE surprisingly docile, aren't they? At first I thought they'd attack me!

Hello,

I too prefer the small auctions, I bought my ducks at the Kynetton Poultry club, I like going there. I have never been to Euroa and probably will never go as I haven't heard anything great about the auction, only that its expensive and chaotic and that's not for me, imagine the stress on the poor birds.
I too prefer to meet the breeders it's always better when you go to the home and see the parents of whatever you are buying and how they have been raised ( clean conditions ). I am padantic and check birds out head to toe and always quarantine. My animals are very much pampered and I can't do enough to keep them happy the are on free range and only get shut up at night and the are treated with lots of goodies and lots of TLC. My mum says I'm a slave to them.
The mistake mentioned previously to buying the muscovies is others opinions, because everyone seems to think they are ugly but not me, I love them they are so sweet.
It's a great joy to watch them as I open the gate and the all exciting climb uphill to the darn, I head up and watch them, it's a great thrill I love the geese too but they are noisy and sometimes it's nice when it's quite.

I made it out to Grantham on Saturday so now my bator is full of lovely Australorp and RIR eggs. Good to see Grantham is slowly recovering after the floods. Still alot of empty stripped house waiting to be rebuilt but the town is getting there slowly.

Quote:
I missed the last one. I was going to go- but it was the same weekend as Geelong, and I sold the last of my available ducks there. I think they have two each year - so might have to go to the next one. I might go check on their club web site now for info about their next show as well as Auction.. Kyneton is a great little club-

Satay... fingers are crossed for the ggs..

Wooklet... Are you thinking of trying to hatch some
big_smile.png

Don't need emus - I have Malays!
big_smile.png
Seriously, I just want to know what one does with emu eggs - need a HUGE incubator too wouldn't you?
Your ducklings are gorgeous!
I second Good Luck with your eggs,Satay
fl.gif

Last edited:
Malays are big arent they??? I can remember the first time I saw one.

I think the interior of my incubator could house 6 emu eggs- but that would leave no room for duck eggs- as I would have to take out the upper tray I think- so no good for me. no way could I leave my incubator with emu eggs in there for 2 months.

Quote:
My Emus are still young so they haven't started laying but it's the male that sits on the eggs and raises the chicks the mum lays them and takes off.
Many people eat them and say they are delicious scrabled, 1 feeds a family, other people use them to paint on or for egg decorating.
I wouldn't incubate them !

Quote:
My Emus are still young so they haven't started laying but it's the male that sits on the eggs and raises the chicks the mum lays them and takes off.
Many people eat them and say they are delicious scrabled, 1 feeds a family, other people use them to paint on or for egg decorating.
I wouldn't incubate them !

Wow, the male takes care of the eggs? That's pretty cool! I've never heard of other species that do that before
lol.png

In the UK, we had a ranger at a local park we frequented give us an ostrich egg that the bird had laid. They didn't want to have to rear any other chicks, so we got the egg as we were on the scene! It was still warm and all. Unfortunately, my mother put it in the wrong hands and we never saw it again
sad.png
beautiful thing it was too!

Back
Top Bottom