Australians - Where are you all????

Quote:
suggest colour coded bands on their legs, I put a band on Lulu so I could tell her apart from Tiny as they are almost identical unless you look at her behind and it has more white!!!

ray's two cents :

Oh, Isa Browns! My neighbours' look exactly like yours, so perhaps that's what they have too.

Yeah went to get two more chickens this morning and the poultry guy said that ISA Browns are very good layers and would most likely get at least an egg a day some types only lay once a week - they only had black ones there today Australorps, but is getting a heap more in tomorrow, so will go back and see what the selection is like tomorrow.​

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah went to get two more chickens this morning and the poultry guy said that ISA Browns are very good layers and would most likely get at least an egg a day some types only lay once a week - they only had black ones there today Australorps, but is getting a heap more in tomorrow, so will go back and see what the selection is like tomorrow.

I'd like to own Australorps. Sex-links get boring after a while.
tongue.png

My neighbours' Isas lay really small eggs. I don't know if that has to do with the breed or the fact that there are nine of them in a really small space.
th.gif
They have a smaller garden than us, most of which is taken up by a shed anyway, so not much space.

Quote:
suggest colour coded bands on their legs, I put a band on Lulu so I could tell her apart from Tiny as they are almost identical unless you look at her behind and it has more white!!!

Good Idea - Thanks! Gives me an idea for names for them too - Red,White,Blue,Green!!!
lol.png

Last edited:
ray's two cents :

Quote:
Yeah went to get two more chickens this morning and the poultry guy said that ISA Browns are very good layers and would most likely get at least an egg a day some types only lay once a week - they only had black ones there today Australorps, but is getting a heap more in tomorrow, so will go back and see what the selection is like tomorrow.

I'd like to own Australorps. Sex-links get boring after a while.
tongue.png

My neighbours' Isas lay really small eggs. I don't know if that has to do with the breed or the fact that there are nine of them in a really small space.
th.gif
They have a smaller garden than us, most of which is taken up by a shed anyway, so not much space.​

Isa Browns lay a large egg or they should do. Mine lay large brown eggs.

Has anyone heard anything about this virus that is knocking pigeons out in Vic and NSW? It has not as yet spread to chickens , but it is pretty lethal for pigeons I believe. There is talk of stopping all pigeon racing,and keeping pigeons away from shows.

AAP report on disease
Posted in Affilated clubs, ANPA Members, National Shows, News, Uncategorized. on Monday, September 5th, 2011 by Brad
Sep 05

MELBOURNE, Sept 6 AAP - Victorian veterinary authorities are being asked to check the health of pigeons and poultry after a rare virus was detected in pigeons for the first time in Australia.

Avian paramyxovirus has been detected in a number of pigeon flocks in Victoria, resulting in the deaths of several hobby flocks.

Australian chief veterinary officer Mark Schipp said affected birds had died suddenly in large numbers, sometimes appeared tired or had shown neurological signs such as circling or head flicking before death.

He said the virus causes only mild, short-term conjunctivitis or influenza-like symptoms.

“Human infection with this virus is extremely rare and usually occurs only in people who have close direct contact with infected birds,” Dr Shipp said.

At this stage, there are no reports of the virus causing disease in wild birds, but the Australian Wildlife Health Network has been asked to monitor the situation.

Victoria is managing the outbreak in conjunction with industry and other veterinary authorities and a national consultative committee on emergency animal disease has met twice to discuss quarantine measures for properties affected.

Anyone concerned about their pigeons or birds should contact an experienced poultry vet, local agriculture authority or the Emergency Animal Disease Watch hotline on 1800 675 888.

_ _ __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ _ _

This is the official handout from the Australian National Pigeon association. It does sound very scary doesn't it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom