Australorp and what else?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by umanduhbree, Aug 31, 2011.

1. umanduhbree

umanduhbree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Lacona, IA
    This is Mutt Chicken. She's a mutt that came with my Australorps from the hatchery. Ever since we got her, I have been dying to figure out what she is mixed with. Does anyone have a guess?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    That would be an EE roo.

3. ilovemydog

ilovemydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    No auestralorp...Thats an ameraucana rooster!

4. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Definitely not a she...lol That one is ALL boy! It looks to be an EE to me also. [​IMG]

5. umanduhbree

Aug 6, 2011
    Lacona, IA
    I can see the americauna, but the images I found of Americauna roos have darker feathers not white. Is that standard? I am pretty sure Mutt is a hen since we are getting a white-ish egg. I assumed that it was Mutt but maybe I'm wrong since all the other eggs are brown and the same size. Thanks for the ideas.

6. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    No sorry that is DEFINITELY an EE cockerel! Not purebred and for sure not a hen.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    That is ean Easter Egger. Not an Ameraucana, or an Araucana. Those are three different breeds. They Hatcheries will tell you they're Ameraucanas, and Araucanas, but they aren't. They're Easter Eggers.

~ Aspen [​IMG]

8. umanduhbree

Aug 6, 2011
    Lacona, IA
    Sigh...I guess I have to continue the hunt for the layer of the white egg in my brown egg laying flock. I guess wishful thinking isn't enough to rewrite biology. [​IMG] Thanks for the wake up. Mutt being a roo does make some sense when it comes to behaviors I have seen, but kind of ignored. Thanks for the help. [​IMG]

9. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    What other breeds do u have that could've laid the white egg?

10. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Quote:Mutt isn't an Ameraucana...Ameraucana's aren't mutts. EEs are mutts so therefore...he is an Easter Egger. When I was sold my 6 chicks I thought they were Ameraucanas also because that is what the feed store sold them as.

This is from the Ameraucana Breeders website:
    http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html

What are Easter Egg chickens?

The Ameraucana Breeders Club defines an Easter Egg chicken or Easter Egger as any chicken that possesses the blue egg gene, but doesn’t fully meet any breed descriptions as defined in the APA and/or ABA standards. Further, even if a bird meets an Ameraucana standard breed description, but doesn’t meet a variety description or breed true at least 50% of the time it is considered an Easter Egg chicken.

Hope that helps clarify a bit. [​IMG]

Yours is definitely a roo since you can see the pointy hackle and saddle feathers quite clearly. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by