Australorp and what else?

umanduhbree

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
Lacona, IA
This is Mutt Chicken. She's a mutt that came with my Australorps from the hatchery. Ever since we got her, I have been dying to figure out what she is mixed with. Does anyone have a guess?

102695_100_1567.jpg

102695_100_1570.jpg

I can see the americauna, but the images I found of Americauna roos have darker feathers not white. Is that standard? I am pretty sure Mutt is a hen since we are getting a white-ish egg. I assumed that it was Mutt but maybe I'm wrong since all the other eggs are brown and the same size. Thanks for the ideas.

That is ean Easter Egger. Not an Ameraucana, or an Araucana. Those are three different breeds. They Hatcheries will tell you they're Ameraucanas, and Araucanas, but they aren't. They're Easter Eggers.

~ Aspen
caf.gif

Sigh...I guess I have to continue the hunt for the layer of the white egg in my brown egg laying flock. I guess wishful thinking isn't enough to rewrite biology.
sad.png
Thanks for the wake up. Mutt being a roo does make some sense when it comes to behaviors I have seen, but kind of ignored. Thanks for the help.
smile.png

Quote:
Mutt isn't an Ameraucana...Ameraucana's aren't mutts. EEs are mutts so therefore...he is an Easter Egger. When I was sold my 6 chicks I thought they were Ameraucanas also because that is what the feed store sold them as.

This is from the Ameraucana Breeders website:
http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html

What are Easter Egg chickens?

The Ameraucana Breeders Club defines an Easter Egg chicken or Easter Egger as any chicken that possesses the blue egg gene, but doesn’t fully meet any breed descriptions as defined in the APA and/or ABA standards. Further, even if a bird meets an Ameraucana standard breed description, but doesn’t meet a variety description or breed true at least 50% of the time it is considered an Easter Egg chicken.

Hope that helps clarify a bit.
wink.png

Yours is definitely a roo since you can see the pointy hackle and saddle feathers quite clearly.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom