Australorp at 12 weeks

ChickenLady♡

Songster
Oct 13, 2018
Adelaide, Australia
I have a bit of a mixed bag of chickens aged between 10 and 14 weeks old. This australorp is 12 weeks ol d and has me a bit stumped about whether it is a pullet or cockerel. I have a terrible hunch it may be a cockerel - much more comb and wattle than its sister and thick legs but it behaves like the girls rather than the boys. What do you think? Would it be more obvious as a cockerel at this age? I know australorp pullets can show some comb and wattle at this age. Are these the start of pointy saddle feathers?
20181210_173409.jpg

20181210_172624.jpg

The last picture is another australorp (same age).
20181210_172929.jpg

Last edited:
I’m thinking Pullet. Signs of young Pullet pale pink combs. A rooster would have larger feet, dark red larger combs and wattles, and saddle feathers over the back that point down. Plus crowing. But can take up to 17 weeks to tell.

2B33D1F1-C352-48C5-B23F-346DA1354C93.gif

I'm leaning towards cockerel for the darker one due to the significant comb and wattle development and slightly darker patches on the wing bows but you have picked an awkward age to be sure. Younger and the comb would be more of a "tell" and older, the saddle feathers would be more obvious. Also a full side profile photo usually makes it easier than any other angle for seeing the saddle feathers but another couple of weeks should make it more obvious.

Ive had certain chickens have a comb and wattles that size and color at 10 weeks. Not familiar with that breed though. My guess is pullet. I even have one hen that has some smaller saddle feathers. With her attitude I was second guessing her till she laid me an egg. I’m not expert but that’s my vote

Back
Top Bottom