Australorp - feathers turned white!

turtle66

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 9, 2014
Hi,
My australorp is about 18 months old and her neck and tail feathers have turned white. The top part of her beak has aslo turned pale! She was attacked by a dog just before it happened and I know the dog pulled feathers out of her. I read that if the feather folicle becomes damaged the feather can turn white, but now with her beak going pale as well, I am a bit worried. She is also moulting a lot now. She didnt seem hurt though after the dog attack (I got there in time), only frightened, and has been fine since except for this turning white.
Does any one know what this could be at all?

Thanks!

Hi,
My australorp is about 18 months old and her neck and tail feathers have turned white. The top part of her beak has aslo turned pale! She was attacked by a dog just before it happened and I know the dog pulled feathers out of her. I read that if the feather folicle becomes damaged the feather can turn white, but now with her beak going pale as well, I am a bit worried. She is also moulting a lot now. She didnt seem hurt though after the dog attack (I got there in time), only frightened, and has been fine since except for this turning white.
Does any one know what this could be at all?

Thanks!
Her feathers have probably become white because the dog pulled feathers from her--any trauma to growing feathers in black birds often results in a color change. Is she laying right now? The fading of her beak could be due to stress, high egg production, and other things, but there is no disease/ailment in which a lighter beak is a symptom. Moulting is normal at this time of year, particularly after stress like being attacked.

HI,
Thanks for your response! No, she's not laying at the moment. She seems to have just stopped molting but isn't laying again yet. She did continue to lay after the dog attack though, which seemed amazing. She still seems well enough, she is just black and white now, with a mostly pink beak! Poor girl.

Back
Top Bottom