1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Australorp or Jersey Giant????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aeg1001, May 15, 2009.

1. aeg1001

aeg1001 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Small town, Ohio
    We got these thinking they were Australorp's, but as we were reading we are not sure now. We read somewere about the coloring of there feet so that is why there are feet pics. They also seem to be growing much slower than all of the other birds. Any thought would be helpful [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  2. aeg1001

May 11, 2009
    Small town, Ohio
    I know it may seem like a dumb question but we are really just flying by the seat of out pants and need some help [​IMG]

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    According to the Feathersite.

http://www.feathersite.com/

Australorps differ from Black Jersey Giants in that the legs of the Jersey Giant are black (some tending toward willow) and the underparts of the feet are yellow. In Lorps, the legs are black, shading to dark slate in adults, but the underparts of the feet are pinkish white. This works with good show stock, but hatchery stock is more variable and you can't ever be sure unless the birds grow to the size of Giants.

The ffet look more yellow than white - that would indicate JG. However, it could be due to hatchery breeding.

4. aeg1001

May 11, 2009
    Small town, Ohio
    Ya thats why we weren't sure. i read the same exact info last night thats why i thought i would ask. Thanks![​IMG]

5. aeg1001

May 11, 2009
    Small town, Ohio
    Any other opinions, maybe somebody who has raised them and would know??

6. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    They look enough like australorps but then I only have those, not JG's so what are the color of the bottoms of the feet? They look yellowish in that picture but it's hard to tell. If all else fails you'll be able to tell when they get bigger as JG's lay a lot later I think. My lorps were laying by 5 months.

nancy

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Hmmm, my Australorp's feet are white on the bottom. The ones in that pic sure look yellow to me. [​IMG]

8. aeg1001

May 11, 2009
    Small town, Ohio
    The feet are def. yellow. well we would be happy to have either. Thanks for all the input [​IMG]

9. Chickiezz

Chickiezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    I think it is a JG because I have to Australorps and they have gray legs and light gray/white feet.

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I would bet Jesey Giants, those are very yellow...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by