Australorp suddenly lethargic, listing to the side when standing, comb and wattle pale

I would treat her for egg binding. Calcium supplements, perhaps the warm bath with epsom salts, etc. Do a search on the forum.

Make sure they have free access to oyster shells, but even so, she is still a fairly young bird and may 'forget' to eat the oyster shells. If your weather is a little cooler, the warm bath should help relax her muscles.

I would treat her for egg binding. Calcium supplements, perhaps the warm bath with epsom salts, etc. Do a search on the forum.

Make sure they have free access to oyster shells, but even so, she is still a fairly young bird and may 'forget' to eat the oyster shells. If your weather is a little cooler, the warm bath should help relax her muscles.
They do have calcium in their feed, and oyster shells in a dish. Their egg shells have always been extremely hard. After bitter cold (for us 4 F) it is unseasonably warm (61 F). I have her inside now in the "infirmary" in a not too warm room.

A calcium supplement will help with contractions to lay the egg now and is a good idea even if she seems to be getting plenty of calcium in her diet. Also a warm bath might help her relax enough to lay the egg.

Make sure she is still drinking and staying hydrated. Is she still pooping? If not she may have an egg stuck near her vent, blocking her intestines. With some exam gloves and vaseline for lubricant you can feel up her vent an inch or two for an egg, and if that is the problem the vaseline might help ease the way for the egg.

A calcium supplement will help with contractions to lay the egg now and is a good idea even if she seems to be getting plenty of calcium in her diet. Also a warm bath might help her relax enough to lay the egg.

Make sure she is still drinking and staying hydrated. Is she still pooping? If not she may have an egg stuck near her vent, blocking her intestines. With some exam gloves and vaseline for lubricant you can feel up her vent an inch or two for an egg, and if that is the problem the vaseline might help ease the way for the egg.
I gave Jemima a good soak in warm water with Epsom salts. Her comb and wattles became normal in color. After her soak, I used a gloved, lubricated finger to feel up in her vent and didn't feel anything. She seems settled in for the night.

Let us know how she is tomorrow. Eating, drinking, posture, what her poop is like etc. Doesn't sound like a crop issue, but always good to check that it is empty first thing in the morning. You can also check her over for bruising, swelling or any signs of injury.

My Jemima is approximately 9 months old. Her weight seems the same. She was just lying in the run while others were busy around her. She let me scoop her up, not at all common. When she stands, her tail feathers droop and she lists to the side. Her droppings appear mostly normal, a little runny. She seemed fine at 7 and 10AM, but this change was noticed at 1:45 PM. My other 4 girls are busy as usual. There are no signs of trauma. My girls have not been out of their coop/run in months. They all eat the same foods. The coop has pine shavings on the floor. The run is sand. Aside from their usual pellets, they had black fly larva because 2 of the girls are moulting. I have been feeding this for several days. I tried palpating the vent, but it seems comparable to my other girls'. Her crop feels fine. I am a beginner chicken keeper and on the verge of panicking.

Have you checked her for lice and Mites?
A pale comb indicate alot of things
Pale comb i notice when my boys are Moulting their comb becomes shrink in size as well as in the appearance so i only boost vitamins in their diet

Today Jemima is eating and drinking (and drinking). She is standing tall with tail up where it should be. There are no signs of trauma or external parasites. Poop is watery with little to no solid matter. She is feisty (her normal self). I think the comb and wattles are on the pale side. No bulging or pushing like there might be an egg. Should she remain isolated? Though I could feel nothing last night, is it still possible that she's egg bound?

I would put her back with her flock, but hang around to make sure they do not peck at her. If she is not walking normally or still going to one side, they might attack her. If they act aggressive, then a dog crate with food and water would be good. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease?

I would put her back with her flock, but hang around to make sure they do not peck at her. If she is not walking normally or still going to one side, they might attack her. If they act aggressive, then a dog crate with food and water would be good. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease?
Yes, she was vaccinated for Marek's disease.

Back
Top Bottom