Australorp suddenly lethargic, listing to the side when standing, comb and wattle pale

PenelopeJane

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2022
My Jemima is approximately 9 months old. Her weight seems the same. She was just lying in the run while others were busy around her. She let me scoop her up, not at all common. When she stands, her tail feathers droop and she lists to the side. Her droppings appear mostly normal, a little runny. She seemed fine at 7 and 10AM, but this change was noticed at 1:45 PM. My other 4 girls are busy as usual. There are no signs of trauma. My girls have not been out of their coop/run in months. They all eat the same foods. The coop has pine shavings on the floor. The run is sand. Aside from their usual pellets, they had black fly larva because 2 of the girls are moulting. I have been feeding this for several days. I tried palpating the vent, but it seems comparable to my other girls'. Her crop feels fine. I am a beginner chicken keeper and on the verge of panicking.

Finally!
Finally.jpg
Jemima's posture today.jpg

I put Jemima back out about an hour ago. She walked around and told the others that she retains her spot in the pecking order. Then she went just inside the coop and made herself a nest. I just went out and one of the other girls started up the ramp to see her. She made a high-pitched trill that I have never heard before, and Sophia went right back down that ramp. Then Jemima stood and looked beneath herself (no egg) and settled back down on the nest.

I would put her back with her flock, but hang around to make sure they do not peck at her. If she is not walking normally or still going to one side, they might attack her. If they act aggressive, then a dog crate with food and water would be good. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease?
Yes, she was vaccinated for Marek's disease.

I agree, I'd put her back since she's acting like her normal feisty self and see how she does.
Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. I wouldn't hurt to give her extra calcium (1 Calcium Citrate tablet) once daily for a week.
Monitor heavily and if she starts to have trouble, pull her back out. Take photos of both pullet and poop.

I'd give her calcium supplement (calcium citrate or tums) in case it's an egg binding issue. The nest in the shaving sounds like she feels the need to lay and depending on where an egg is stuck it can press on nerves and cause leg issues.

A calcium supplement will help with contractions to lay the egg now and is a good idea even if she seems to be getting plenty of calcium in her diet. Also a warm bath might help her relax enough to lay the egg.

Make sure she is still drinking and staying hydrated. Is she still pooping? If not she may have an egg stuck near her vent, blocking her intestines. With some exam gloves and vaseline for lubricant you can feel up her vent an inch or two for an egg, and if that is the problem the vaseline might help ease the way for the egg.

Back
Top Bottom