Australorp suddenly lethargic, listing to the side when standing, comb and wattle pale

A calcium supplement will help with contractions to lay the egg now and is a good idea even if she seems to be getting plenty of calcium in her diet. Also a warm bath might help her relax enough to lay the egg.

Make sure she is still drinking and staying hydrated. Is she still pooping? If not she may have an egg stuck near her vent, blocking her intestines. With some exam gloves and vaseline for lubricant you can feel up her vent an inch or two for an egg, and if that is the problem the vaseline might help ease the way for the egg.
I gave Jemima a good soak in warm water with Epsom salts. Her comb and wattles became normal in color. After her soak, I used a gloved, lubricated finger to feel up in her vent and didn't feel anything. She seems settled in for the night.

Today Jemima is eating and drinking (and drinking). She is standing tall with tail up where it should be. There are no signs of trauma or external parasites. Poop is watery with little to no solid matter. She is feisty (her normal self). I think the comb and wattles are on the pale side. No bulging or pushing like there might be an egg. Should she remain isolated? Though I could feel nothing last night, is it still possible that she's egg bound?

I would put her back with her flock, but hang around to make sure they do not peck at her. If she is not walking normally or still going to one side, they might attack her. If they act aggressive, then a dog crate with food and water would be good. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease?

Hi there, do you know when she last laid?
What does her crop feel like?
If they're molting, get higher protein feed or feed scrambled eggs, tuna, meat etc, black larva isn't enough protein and too much has a lot of fat.

If they're molting, get higher protein feed or feed scrambled eggs, tuna, meat etc, black larva isn't enough protein and too much has a lot of fat.
I don't know when she last laid. 2 or 3 share the same spot. She built a big beautiful nest in the pine shavings today, but no egg. Her crop is not full like I would expect it to be.

Jemima.jpg

Back
Top Bottom