Australorp x Cream Legbar?

An Easter Egger by definition is any mixed breed chicken that has the blue egg gene.
It's become quite acceptable to have an Easter egger that lays brown eggs. Or at least acceptable to expect an Easter egger may lay brown eggs.
That makes the new definition any mixed breed chicken.

I have two chicks from a Blue Orpington rooster over a Cream Legbar hen. I don't think the pullet is laying yet, but she is solid black just like your girls. The only tell is the tail/tail-set (that's all Cream Legbar) and the off-color earlobes. Her brother, however, got the blue gene from Dad, and the barring gene from Mom. His earlobes are a mix - pink! The picture doesn't show it as pink as it actually is.

Pullet
IMG_2776 (3).jpg

Cockerel
IMG_2539 (3).jpg

Really pretty!!!
I have two chicks from a Blue Orpington rooster over a Cream Legbar hen. I don't think the pullet is laying yet, but she is solid black just like your girls. The only tell is the tail/tail-set (that's all Cream Legbar) and the off-color earlobes. Her brother, however, got the blue gene from Dad, and the barring gene from Mom. His earlobes are a mix - pink! The picture doesn't show it as pink as it actually is.

Pullet
View attachment 1564678

Cockerel
View attachment 1564679

Oh man, can you imagine how surprised someone would be if they were expecting a muffed &/or bearded EE and got a crested &/or Naked Neck bird!

They wouldn't be with me, because I tell my buyers what they are getting. Even if a chicken is mixed with a NN, as long as it has a fully feathered neck it mean's that it did not inherit that gene and cannot pass it on.

Edit: I like my CCLB/NN's that I have growing out. I think that they look cool. I will be breeding my 2 CCLB/Australorp pullets to my White NN/Breese roo as soon as they start laying eggs.

Last edited:
Oh, I think they sound awesome! I think I may have worded that poorly. I was thinking about someone ordering EE chicks from a hatchery! It would be really nice if everyone was as honest with their customers as you are!
They wouldn't be with me, because I tell my buyers what they are getting. Even if a chicken is mixed with a NN, as long as it has a fully feathered neck it mean's that it did not inherit that gene and cannot pass it on.

Edit: I like my CCLB/NN's that I have growing out. I think that they look cool. I will be breeding my 2 CCLB/Australorp pullets to my White NN/Breese roo as soon as they start laying eggs.

Oh, I think they sound awesome! I think I may have worded that poorly. I was thinking about someone ordering EE chicks from a hatchery! It would be really nice if everyone was as honest with their customers as you are!

I knew what you meant, so no problem. :) Many people have chicken's and don't even know what breed that they have. It's the mentality that a chicken is a chicken, and they just come in different colors. ;)

Still waiting for her egg! :old We're getting super close though. She molted out any trace of brown at 12 weeks, but still has her funky crest. 2 of the Black Australorps I got at the same time are laying now. I'm not 100% sure what she is, but she is gorgeous.
Sweet! Are you tracking how many eggs she's laying (weekly/monthly)?

Back
Top Bottom