Australorp x Cream Legbar?

Pics

KikiLeigh02

Free Ranging
May 11, 2018
Western Kentucky
I bought a Black Australorp pullet from a local breeder. I knew she had some color bleeding when I bought her, but she's just for eggs so I don't really care. She's 10 weeks now and she's mostly black with some brown but doesn't quite have the sheen the other Australorp pullets have. In the last couple of weeks she's developed a crest. I asked the breeder and she's thinking the Cream Legbar rooster may have mixed with her Black Australorp hens. If that's what happened will she lay a mint colored egg?

Last edited:
:loveShe finally laid! The little goof ball laid it on the ground so I almost missed it, but it is green! She's the only one it could have come from.

Attachments

• IMG_20180911_181544589.jpg
    IMG_20180911_181544589.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_20180911_181627099.jpg
    IMG_20180911_181627099.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 273
Still waiting for her egg! :old We're getting super close though. She molted out any trace of brown at 12 weeks, but still has her funky crest. 2 of the Black Australorps I got at the same time are laying now. I'm not 100% sure what she is, but she is gorgeous.

Attachments

• IMG_20180818_183943594_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180818_183943594_HDR.jpg
    994.1 KB · Views: 322
Yes, if she is an Australorp-Cream Legbar mix, she would lay a light green egg.

However, I wonder if that is the case as she would be barred if she were from the Cream Legbar rooster over an Australorp hen. She doesn't have barring, so I doubt she is a first generation offspring from Australorp and Cream Legbar.

That means, if the birds are freely mingling, she may be a hybrid of hybrid. That means you may or may not get any mint green eggs.

LofMc

Thank you! I didn't think about the barring gene! That was just what she suggested, so you're probably right about the cross of a cross. I looked at the adult Australorps but I didn't pay attention to the Legbars. I know this is the first year she's offered Legbar chicks. She has some faint barring on her chest but that's it. I guess I'll find out in another 14 weeks or so when she lays. I can't complain, I knew her coloring was off when I bought her, she was only $2, and she's my favorite out of the bunch.

Last edited:
I don't have any EE's, lol. We thought there was only had one Australorp x Legbar, but I guess I have at least two! The one is obvious because she's crested.
Sort of funny you were so sure you only had one colored egg layer. My Legbar lays a light blue, 1 Isbar lays green 1 lays blue, Olive Egger x Legbar lays Olive she has legbar features but darker.

Back
Top Bottom