Australorp x Cream Legbar?

All the others have been laying for a while, they'll be a year old on December 1st. In addition to those named in my last post in that pen I have 5 Production Reds, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Amberlinks, and 2 Jersey Giants. They all lay various shades of brown. The Jersey Giants were the last to lay, and that was back in June.

All the others have been laying for a while, they'll be a year old on December 1st. In addition to those named in my last post in that pen I have 5 Production Reds, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Amberlinks, and 2 Jersey Giants. They all lay various shades of brown. The Jersey Giants were the last to lay, and that was back in June.
See I told you that was from an Easter Egger.

Maybe I need to adjust my thinking? I don't really think of Legbar mixes to be Easter Eggers. I just consider them crosses that happen to lay colored eggs.

I know which chickens it could have come from, I was just surprised because the other three really do look like just Black Australorps. That cross made beautiful, solid black sex-link pullets.

Maybe I need to adjust my thinking? I don't really think of Legbar mixes to be Easter Eggers. I just consider them crosses that happen to lay colored eggs.

I know which chickens it could have come from, I was just surprised because the other three really do look like just Black Australorps. That cross made beautiful, solid black sex-link pullets.

I sort of agree. I thought that EE's are supposed to have those puffy cheeks and the beard.

I guess part of my issue is that in researching Ameraucanas (if I'm reading the information correctly) is that breeders came up with the definition for EE's as a way to separate crosses and non-standard birds from true Ameraucanas. I just think the term Easter Egger is used to loosely for any non-standard bird that lays colored eggs. Most hatcheries don't label their Legbar crosses as EE's either, they usually just put "bar" in the name they use (i.e. Cuckoo Bluebar). Just my opinion though. :confused:

@BlueBaby do you have a thread for you Nn x Cream Legbar crosses? I would love to watch them grow!

I guess part of my issue is that in researching Ameraucanas (if I'm reading the information correctly) is that breeders came up with the definition for EE's as a way to separate crosses and non-standard birds from true Ameraucanas. I just think the term Easter Egger is used to loosely for any non-standard bird that lays colored eggs. Most hatcheries don't label their Legbar crosses as EE's either, they usually just put "bar" in the name they use (i.e. Cuckoo Bluebar). Just my opinion though. :confused:

@BlueBaby do you have a thread for you Nn x Cream Legbar crosses? I would love to watch them grow!

No, I don't have a thread going for those. I do need to get out there and take some pictures of them though. I think the crest on them is cute, and I am betting that the pullets of those will lay a light green egg when they start laying. The oldest pullet of that mix has the crest. She's white with a pattern of black feathers on her back. The daddy is a NN/Breese mix and is white.

I think this one is going to be just as good of a layer as the other mixed one!

Attachments

• IMG_20181017_193247960_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181017_193247960_HDR.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 18
I guess part of my issue is that in researching Ameraucanas (if I'm reading the information correctly) is that breeders came up with the definition for EE's as a way to separate crosses and non-standard birds from true Ameraucanas. I just think the term Easter Egger is used to loosely for any non-standard bird that lays colored eggs. Most hatcheries don't label their Legbar crosses as EE's either, they usually just put "bar" in the name they use (i.e. Cuckoo Bluebar). Just my opinion though
An Easter Egger by definition is any mixed breed chicken that has the blue egg gene.

Back
Top Bottom