Australorp X Dominique (Genetics question)

Which parent was the Black Australorp?

• Total voters

TennesseeFarm

Chirping
Oct 16, 2018
Jackson, Tennessee
Hey everyone, a few years back a friend gave me some australorp eggs, maybe chicks I cant recall but I think they were eggs.

We hatched them out and a few weeks later I noticed the comb on one chick was rosecomb. I contacted my friend and he said he didnt have any rosecomb genetics in his australorps but did have a couple dominiques roaming around. A rooster and a hen or two.

I'm not the best at genetics and thought the male offsprings would have been barred.

Can someone explain the genetics for a solid black australorp x a cuckoo dominique which bred a black male offspring. Which parent would have been the dominique? Which parent was the australorp?

Unfortunately Ron didnt make it to adulthood he died protecting the flock in the night before he was a year old. Here's the last pic of him, he ended up filling out a lot more after this pic but I can't seem to find any more pictures of him. Thanks in advanced.

Attachments

• IMG_9321.jpg
    IMG_9321.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 143
The "Dominique" in that cross was a male but not a pure Dominique. Barred is a sex linked trait. If the hen was barred, her sons would be. His mother was not a barred hen.

If the father was pure for barring, both genes at that gene pair were barred, then all his offspring would have been barred. But since his son was not barred, he had one barred gene and one not-barred gene. The not-barred got passed down.

Last edited:
From a genetics standpoint a Dominique can not be either parent.
If it in fact only carried on gene for barring it could produce a black cockerel chick but the one barring gene would exclude it from being a Dominique.

Thanks yall, they were just some old dominiques that had been on the farm for a while. My friend couldnt recall where they came from to ask original the breeder.

I read about the sex link so couldnt understand how he was black, thanks for painting the picture for me. So my best guess is the original breeder outcrossed his line to work on the type and what my friend had was just some of his genetically unsound culls.

Thanks again

You should be able to determine by looks alone if the putative Dominique sire was homozygous or heterozygous for the sex-linked barring allele. Do you have pictures of him?
With the bird being a black cockerel you don't even need to see the sire to know it is not homozygous for barring.
You also don't need to see the hen to know she wasn't barred.

Many good points made above. A hen with barring will always pass one barring gene to her sons, so will never produce a solid son. A cockerel impure for barring, such as the offspring of such a cross, aka a black sex link cockerel, will be hen barred, aka dark barred, single barred. A double barred cockerel will appear lighter.

He was a nice looking bird, sorry you lost him.

You should be able to determine by looks alone if the putative Dominique sire was homozygous or heterozygous for the sex-linked barring allele. Do you have pictures of him?
If I do he will be in the far background I'll try to find one but this was from 2014 so it might be hard. I do recall he hard a darker barring if Im not mistaken. I also was mistaken about when he and how the chicken in the photo passed away. My girlfriend told me tonight he was hit hard by coccidiosis in 2015 after we brought some chickens home a show in Fayetteville, AR. She said he showed symptoms one day and he treated him but he had died 2 days later :(

Many good points made above. A hen with barring will always pass one barring gene to her sons, so will never produce a solid son. A cockerel impure for barring, such as the offspring of such a cross, aka a black sex link cockerel, will be hen barred, aka dark barred, single barred. A double barred cockerel will appear lighter.

He was a nice looking bird, sorry you lost him.
Thanks for your input! I was mistaken about when he and how the chicken in the photo passed away. My girlfriend told me tonight he was hit hard by coccidiosis in 2015 after we brought some chickens home a show in Fayetteville, AR. She said he showed symptoms one day and he treated him but he had died 2 days later :(

I'm trying to find more recent pictures of him but they are hidden on an external harddrive at the moment. Also I was able to have my old BYC account password and email reset therefore I'll be replying with ChickenLeg account, and my girlfriend will have this account.

I found some photos I believe to be of the dominique hens his father was purchased with (Backyard quality, excellent layers). You can see one on both sides of the white goose. In the last pic you can see their barring a bit especially the one right on the fence. He had 4 or more hens with the rooster so it is possible the hens could vary in each picture. If you right click open picture in a new tab you can really zoom in and see the hen on the left of the goose had a very faded barring. Also the hens could be hatchery/backyard barred rocks, I cant tell from these old photos but I know he would pair his dominique rooster with single comb and rosecomb barred hens.

The first two pics are of the rooster from the first post after he filled out a bit more.

Attachments

• IMG_9311.jpg
    IMG_9311.jpg
    739.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_9312.jpg
    IMG_9312.jpg
    714.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6961.jpg
    IMG_6961.jpg
    894.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6962.jpg
    IMG_6962.jpg