Australorps breed Thread

Quote:
At 2.5 months, all cockerels for sure. No pullet would have a comb that big and red until they are about ready to lay at (generally speaking) MINIMALLY 5 months of age. Heck, my LAYING hens' combs aren't that big and 2 of them are 4 years old.

Quote:
Curious, I have 6 different breeds (plus 2 "non standard" BAs from Meyer, I SWEAR they have some BJG in them based on the yellow feet) and they mix and match.

I CANNOT wait... I get my Black Australorp chickie tomorrow!!! I called today, and she is scheduled to arrive tomorrow... I already have one Easter Egger, one Golden Sex Link, and one Light Brahma in her little batch. I would like to grab another one or two chicks with her. Anyone have any suggestions?

I can choose from:
Cuckoo Marans
Feather Legged Bantams (would definitely get two of these if I get any)
Black Sex Links
White Leghorn
Rhode Island Red

(all are hatchery stock)

I also already have some teenagers (Easter Egger, Barred Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, and a Buff Orpington)

Did I mention I CANNOT wait for my BA!!!!

Feather Legged Bantam "What"? There are many feather legged breeds and many bantam breeds.

At 2.5 months, all cockerels for sure. No pullet would have a comb that big and red until they are about ready to lay at (generally speaking) MINIMALLY 5 months of age. Heck, my LAYING hens' combs aren't that big and 2 of them are 4 years old.

Curious, I have 6 different breeds (plus 2 "non standard" BAs from Meyer, I SWEAR they have some BJG in them based on the yellow feet) and they mix and match.

Feather Legged Bantam "What"? There are many feather legged breeds and many bantam breeds.

Hahaha! I think specifically they are an assortment of cochins, brahmas, d'uccles, and silkies. We had a Partridge Cochin Bantam before that didn't make it.

I dropped them into my coop of dominiques (rooster in flock) and they all got along. Well, I should say they mostly got along; it took a few minutes for a few of the hens to peck one of them and the rooster did not fight or peck ANY of them. There was quite a bit of clucking either from panic or confusion but other than that it seemed like a pretty non-violent integration into the flock. Can anyone explain how/why this happened?

This is King. He is one of the friendliest roosters I have ever had. If I sit down for even a minute outside, he'll be in my lap. He's very trusting of me, which is endearing when some of my others like to act like I'm out eat their faces every time I go out to the barn.

Meet Betty! She is seriously the CUTEST!

We only got her yesterday (the store only had broilers because their shipments were late), brought her home immediately, introduced her to the 3 others, and she fit right in! It couldn't have gone smoother. She actually would crawl up underneath the Easter Egger's legs and sit there, and no one picked on her. They all snuggled right up together and have been eating and drinking as a group of 4 ever since. This morning, I can tell she is watching them scratching around, and learning how to by mimicking them.

Hey everyone, I'm new to australorps as I just picked up 3 of them the other day. I'm looking to replace my current flock rooster with a lorp so I'm wondering how are australorp roosters like? I heard the breed in general is pretty easy-going but what about the roosters specifically?

Hey everyone, I'm new to australorps as I just picked up 3 of them the other day. I'm looking to replace my current flock rooster with a lorp so I'm wondering how are australorp roosters like? I heard the breed in general is pretty easy-going but what about the roosters specifically?

Depends on the line. We had some aggressive cockerels which we had to rehome, and some docile guys. It really just depends on the line.

Back
Top Bottom