Australorps breed Thread

Mine is an open coop, about 8 ft. tall. During the winter, I staple tarps around my coop, leaving them about a foot from the top on at least 1 side. That way, they are protected from the winds, but have plenty of ventilation, so they don't get frostbitten combs, and feet. I either cut, and staple tarps in the doorway, with a little pop hole at the bottom, so the chickens can get in and out of their enclosed (predator proof) run(s), OR cut the tarps, and staple them to the doors, closing the chickens in at night, then opening the doors the next morning, so they can get out, if their run is not enclosed, to keep them protected from predators during the night.
Ah, so it's not left wide open. That makes me feel better about my situation. I feel like their coop is dry enough. I feel cold, but not wet when I'm in there and their bedding is also dry. So hopefully things will be ok. Thanks!

Hello BA people. My wife had a major heart attack 4 weeks ago and I have some health issues also, but Pat is doing much better. I have broken down my breeding pens and the future with BBS Aussies is unknown. I will check in on here regularly to keep in touch with y'all.
Kurt
Hi Kurt,
I'm so sorry to hear about Pat and you having health issues. I'm sorry that I'm just reading of this, and responding. I have not been on BYC much since it changed its format. It's been frustrating for me to navigate. So, Barry and I are sad to hear of this. We will pray for your healing. Don't hesitate to reach out to us. -Tara & Barry Bauer

Me, too @RattlesnakeRidgeWV , and thank you for posting to activate this thread again @BluRoo Farm OH where I could find it again! How are your 2 Splash pullet's doing now?
They are doing well. From that group (born Sept '17; I got 3 Black Cockerels, 2 Blue Cockerels, 2 splash hens, and 1 Blue Hen. I've been looking over my other hens to choose which ones I want to breed. I will be starting soon. How about you?

They are doing well. From that group (born Sept '17; I got 3 Black Cockerels, 2 Blue Cockerels, 2 splash hens, and 1 Blue Hen. I've been looking over my other hens to choose which ones I want to breed. I will be starting soon. How about you?

As you know, I was doing a lot of hatching during this past summer. I sold some of the chicks, but kept a splash pullet that is now almost ready to lay. The past few months I sold off my older hens before they get too old to lay well, so I now only have 1 older hen left that I didn't want to part with. The rest of my girls were all hatched out in 2017, so I'll be ready to go good with them for this year.

I also picked me up a few of those NN (Turkens) recently. Some of those pullets are just starting to lay.

Edit: One of the ladies ( @igorsMistress ) that bought some of mine that I hatched out this year, posted a picture of her Blue boy that she got from me. He's 5 month's old now and is very interested in the ladies. ;)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-see-those-pics.1175972/page-25#post-19374424

Last edited:
As you know, I was doing a lot of hatching during this past summer. I sold some of the chicks, but kept a splash pullet that is now almost ready to lay. The past few months I sold off my older hens before they get too old to lay well, so I now only have 1 older hen left that I didn't want to part with. The rest of my girls were all hatched out in 2017, so I'll be ready to go good with them for this year.

I also picked me up a few of those NN (Turkens) recently. Some of those pullets are just starting to lay.

Edit: One of the ladies that bought some of mine that I hatched out this year, posted a picture of her Blue boy that she got from me. He's 5 month's old now and is very interested in the ladies. ;)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-see-those-pics.1175972/page-25#post-19374424
If needed, would you have any hatching eggs available to ship?

If needed, would you have any hatching eggs available to ship?

I have never shipped any hatching eggs from mine as yet. I have only been selling mine here locally. But, I would be willing to trade you some of mine for yours to help keep my flock from being too closely related in breeding in the future. I don't know what Kurt will be doing with his in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom