Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll offer an opinion that wasn't asked for too........I think you would be better to concentrate on developing your own line rather than trying to keep other lines pure. Once you have made the breeding decisions, they are no longer somebody elses line, but your's! I think you would be beter served to breed the best to the best and keep a rolling 3 pen maternal set up. Pullets back to the pen they were bred from and cockerels roll to another pen. With the diversity you are starting out with, you should never have to bring in other stock, and you won't have to raise nearly as many birds, or keep so many breeders, just the very best....Just My Humble Opinion, that's all folks! .....stan
  2. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    looking great kurt..ross , sending 2 books for for dan..please tell ray that his book was too short..i kept wanting more..well written...excellent read , beginner and expert could take something away from it.. and thank you..very generous of you to do will be a treasured part of our library..
  3. WVDan44

WVDan44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Hello Stan! Long time no see. This is good advice you offer. I have been working on a similar system. Large house for pullets and hens, three smaller pens for breeding and roos, and in a separate building, a brooder pen. That should keep it going pretty well. Hope you are doing well.

WV Dan
  4. RossAussie

RossAussie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013

Yes, many Blues and Whites were exhibited in Bantams and Large Blues, but no Large Whites. I have no pictures of them but I know they will be appearing on the club's website soon. The photographer is emailing the shots to the webmaster soon, I believe.

5. CB and CG

CB and CG Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for that Ross. I will be checking the website frequently for the pics then:)
  6. GreatWhiteAfro

GreatWhiteAfro Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Casa Grande, Az
    Here's a quick snap of my girls as they were getting ready to roost for the night. I love these girls, they are quiet and friendly!!

7. MeanV2

MeanV2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2013
    Stan, if Kurt has figured out how to trim points I need to send him my Tigercreek baby. His comb looks like a porcupine! [​IMG]

8. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    that is a big problem in US australorp..too many points..something that needs to be fixed over time..Bob whitney has it pretty much under control he gets between 4 and 8 LOL...I will be going up to his farm in oct so will get some close up just takes a while to work it out..
  9. AParmer

AParmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Graham, Alabama
    So between 4 and 8 points is the proper number on them?
  10. CB and CG

CB and CG Chillin' With My Peeps

Between 4 and 6 is the specified number.
    In Australia I would say that number the number of comb points is pretty much under control although combs can still be flyaway, uneven, thumbprint.....
    Believe it or not some strains of lorps that I have seen actually have too few points (2 or 3).
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by