Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

RattlesnakeRidgeWV Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Yellow soles of their feet and yellow skin, not white like a BA. Rough the feathers or look under the wing and you can check the skin color.
    They also should be larger when they mature.
    Kurt

2. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Ross,
    PM me your address, I would surely love to have a signed book from Ray.
    Kurt
    PS is the price on the site pounds or US dollars?

3. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    "MOJO" from Tigercreek stock roaming the woods with his girls. I will be breeding him in the winter.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. MeanV2

MeanV2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2013
    Kurt,
    I know you have told me not too pull the trigger too fast on my cockerels. What are you thinking? 6 months, 9 months, or 12 months old? I have 11 of the little buggers! [​IMG]

Dan

5. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Dan,
    MOJO is only 21 weeks old and looks **** good to me. By Dec he will be almost a year old so that is when I will decide whether or not to breed him. He only has 4 points on comb and his brother COAL has 5 possibly 6 so we will see. I am mainly impressed with his width and tail set. He and his brother are the type I prefer. I recently sold MICK because his tail set wasn't what I liked. The real problem is that I am trying to keep 3 separate lines pure and that is another problem. Pick the ones you like at 6 months and cull the rest. Then do it again at 9 or 12 months. You best keep 2 or 3 because Murphys Law can and will happen with loses or predators, trust me. When you set your plans something will always happen to change them!
    Kurt

6. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Tigercreek where you at?
    Stan, I got my first 2 pullet eggs from your babies and they are exactly 21 weeks old!!! That was some great stock that you sold me.
    Check out MOJO at 21 weeks old above!
    Kurt

7. NewMomma

NewMomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    At about what age do the Australorps start laying, do y'all know? :)

8. MeanV2

Feb 15, 2013

I'd say it can vary depending on the line. I was told by the breeder of my Gilbert BA's to look for them to start laying at 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 months old.

Dan

1 person likes this.
  9. MeanV2

Feb 15, 2013
    Kurt sounds like a good plan and was what I was hoping to do. I am learning about Murphys Law this summer so I know what you mean there!! Interesting you are going to keep your lines pure. I am hoping to end up with 3 different lines and plan on breeding the best to the best, at least to see what I get. I will also breed a few to keep each line separate. Should be a journey! If I don't run out of room.

Dan

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  10. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope you don't get caught for animal cruelty for trimming points off of his comb!! All I ever get is 10 point combs........ Looking real good Kurt. I'll be wanting eggs soon.......stan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by