Australorps breed Thread

I've tried asking this a few times, but I guess we were caught up in Marek's/vitamin deficiencies, so I will try once more.
How often do your Australorps go broody??

i have some that have never gone broody..some that seem to know when there are fertile eggs around..each hen like people is different..some will almost kill themselves trying to hatch eggs and have to be stopped..i have never seen a set time frame with any ot them..once in a while they are jst molting and uncomfortable in nest box..you get to know each hens traits after a while..i had one that she just knew i was collecting for bator and would start setting

Medicated feed has Amporlin in it. The feed manufacturer has to add niacin to the feed to compensate. The chicks can still wind up being deficient in other vitamins if using medicated feed. Is there an organic medicated feed?

Mary, the Sherriff had a couple of Cream Legbar chicks die from mis formulated medicated feed(verified by UCD Necropsy).
You are partially right.

Low dose Amprolium in medicated feed is compensated for by the addition of niacin.The key difference between feeding medicated feed and not, then having to use Corid is the difference in dosage. Corid / Amprolium block the uptake of B vitamins ONLY by the coccidia. That's how the stuff works, and the coccidia die. The trouble is that by the time most people get around to using Corid, the birds are already under stress from the coccidia that have already been stealing the birds' share of the niacin, and the niacin deficiency becomes acute in the birds. That's when you see the neurological symptoms in chickens.

Knock on wood , I have not lost a chick, or adult, in many, many years from coccidia. Upon the advice from a USDA inspector 40 years ago, I have fed Purina Medicated Chick Starter to every chick until the age of 4 months, and I think I can say that my birds have always been in wonderful health and condition. See my page.

Beautiful birds Dragonlady, and obviously well cared for. I do agree with you too, you will lose more birds to Cocci than you will to the lower dose in the medicated feed. I also have been giving BOB twice a week for vitamin and probiotic supplement. ......stan

Beautiful birds Dragonlady, and obviously well cared for. I do agree with you too, you will lose more birds to Cocci than you will to the lower dose in the medicated feed. I also have been giving BOB twice a week for vitamin and probiotic supplement. ......stan

Stan,
I also give BOB. I give it on a 3 day on, 2 week off schedule. The main reason I don't care for medicated feed is I don't like the lower protein % of the medicated feed, and I like that Game Bird starter gives a lot of animal protein.

I honestly think either way will work and I am new to this so still in the refining stages. I am even suspect the Cockerel may have injured his leg coming off a too high roost (that roost has been removed) He seems stable today and is showing no other signs except for the limping.

No lose of wing, neck, or head control and his eyes look bright & clear.

Then again I could be wrong and I might have others come down with the same symptoms and he could die over night. At this point I am weighing all advice (and appreciate it!) and just playing wait & see.

Dan

Stan,
I also give BOB. I give it on a 3 day on, 2 week off schedule. The main reason I don't care for medicated feed is I don't like the lower protein % of the medicated feed, and I like that Game Bird starter gives a lot of animal protein.

I honestly think either way will work and I am new to this so still in the refining stages. I am even suspect the Cockerel may have injured his leg coming off a too high roost (that roost has been removed) He seems stable today and is showing no other signs except for the limping.

No lose of wing, neck, or head control and his eyes look bright & clear.

Then again I could be wrong and I might have others come down with the same symptoms and he could die over night. At this point I am weighing all advice (and appreciate it!) and just playing wait & see.

Dan
thumbsup.gif
There is more than one way to raise chickens. I would not say one is more right than another. We all live in different climates and conditions too. Even in California, The coast is much different from the interior valleys with much more problems with Coci.

Thanks Ross....Ray connor is the best..Tell him write us another book..Ive boughten 3 now..gave 2 to freinds and kept one but everyone trys to borrow it..

congrats on the other wins as well..What a wonderful day!
G'day,

If you. or anyone in the USA in this forum, buy your next book Ray Connor Australorp book through the Australorp Club's merchandise area ( www.australorps.com ) and ask them to post it direct to me, I'll get Ray Connor to sign it personally for you and add a little note in the front cover. I'll then post it to you guys in the USA, my treat. Ray loves doing little gestures like that. He's just turned 90 and still breeds fowls, but is a little slower these days.
Thanks for the thoughts on the win.
I've posted the Australian Langshan (sorry I know its not an Australorp) below so you can see what we produce here. This is the Reserve of the Show and he was the Champion Bantam.

Regards,

Ross

i am so doing that ..ray is a living poultry legend..you can pm me your address! chance of a lifetime..you better put a note in it too
big_smile.png

lovley bantam langshan!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom