Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. MeanV2

MeanV2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2013
    I did just finish 6 days with Corid in the water. Do you think that had something to do with it?

Dan

2. thedragonlady

thedragonlady Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    You betcha ! Corid ties up all sorts of vitamins. That's why I keep my babies on medicated feed until they are 4 months old.I haven't had to use Corid in 20 years. Get Poly Vi Sol , WITHOUT IRON , into that baby QUICK ! I'd put $ on the fact that it is NOT Mareks, but a vitamin deficiency.

3. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio

I questioned vitamin E deficiency myself. -but im far from an expert.

4. MeanV2

Feb 15, 2013
    I have got some Sav A Chick Electrolytes & Vitamins on hand. I can put that in his water this morning ASAP. Good idea?

Dan

5. thedragonlady

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    Do that, but get the Poly Vi Sol . It works !

6. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    meanv2 - if you don't already do so, add some wheat to your feed. BOSS helps some too. broccoli may help some if you can get him to eat it.

I don't know what you use for feed, a lot of commercial feeds are lacking. the main source would be corn in a lot of feeds for cost reasons. this time of year birds don't eat as much corn, they don't need the heat from it. between that and heat, it causes the symptoms you mentioned.

7. cbnovick

cbnovick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I have not tried Gatorade...great idea.
    Unflavored Pedialyte (baby section) of grocery store or drug store works great too. No need to dilute.

8. MeanV2

Feb 15, 2013
    He is young 9 weeks old. He has been on Purina Game Bird Starter since the very beginning. He has also received Quinoa grains & scrambled eggs a couple of times a week. I also use BOB every 2 weeks as they suggest.

Thanks everyone for all the info!!

Dan

9. thedragonlady

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    If you will get your babies on medicated starter, you won't have this problem again, or coccidia either.

10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Medicated feed has Amporlin in it. The feed manufacturer has to add niacin to the feed to compensate. The chicks can still wind up being deficient in other vitamins if using medicated feed. Is there an organic medicated feed?

Mary, the Sherriff had a couple of Cream Legbar chicks die from mis formulated medicated feed(verified by UCD Necropsy).

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by