Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. MeanV2

MeanV2 Songster

Feb 15, 2013
    Kurt, Always Love seeing pics! Thanks again for posting. I went out to some sadness yesterday morning, one of my Gilbert Cockerels was not right. At first I thought he got his butt kicked but then I began to think he was showing signs of Marek's! Sadness!! [​IMG] I isolated him with his own water & feed immediately. He is still alive this evening but looks no better or worse that I can tell at this point.

Nothing else is showing signs of anything this evening but I have no idea how fast Marek's goes through a flock, if indeed that is what it is. At this point I am just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

Dan

2. aveca

aveca Songster

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    sorry to hear your having trouble with that boy Dan. hope he makes a turn for the better..there are so many chicken diseases out there..

.heres an interesting story for you..about 15 years ago i had a flock of exhibition australorp and some dominique...we had the australorp for about 10 years..when the dominique were a certain point in development...every last one of them got mereks..not one of the australorp got sick thou all of the young ran together..at first we did not know what was going on..had a vet from cornell come in to help..all of the dominique had cloudy eyes ..the whole thing..still no sick australorp..we finnally asked cornell why one group not the other? they said that strain of australorp had a natural b factor in their blood..they were naturally immune...im not sure if it was just that particular strain of australorp..

much later on i had let that flock out into a different pasture had main gate open...they were content out there..a loose part pit bull dog got in destroyed all of them while i had run down to the corner store..same dog killed the neighbors prize winning white silkies..she sues ,won 3 grand but the guy only paid about 200..

3. AParmer

AParmer Chirping

Apr 28, 2013
    Graham, Alabama
    Thank you all so much!
    [​IMG] Thank you thank you!! I actually do have a set of small digital scales. Now my brain can rest.

4. AParmer

AParmer Chirping

Apr 28, 2013
    Graham, Alabama
    My six or seven month old rooster tried to mount one of my 10 week old B.A. girls this evening. A few times. Is this normal that he would show this kind of interest in such a young pullet?

5. CinnamonQueen

CinnamonQueen Songster

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas

6. CinnamonQueen

CinnamonQueen Songster

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    Oh no... From what I've heard, Marek's is pretty darn bad...

7. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Crowing

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    I would separate him ..she is too young ...he is too amorous ...they are slightly sex crazy when they 1st mature
    He can hurt her or kill her depending how heavy he is

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

8. AParmer

AParmer Chirping

Apr 28, 2013
    Graham, Alabama
    Thank you much! I thought that's what I would have to do with him. I hate that too because he is my flock protector. Normally...

9. thedragonlady

thedragonlady Crowing

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    I use Gator Ade for my crew. Cheap, and they love it on really hot days. I dilute it by a third. S.C. is a sauna right now, and the Orps have cut way back on feed, but they are grazing like cattle.

10. thedragonlady

thedragonlady Crowing

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    I'd try some Poly Vi Sol without iron on that bird , especially if you have used amprolium in the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by