Australorps breed Thread

Kurt,
I know you have told me not too pull the trigger too fast on my cockerels. What are you thinking? 6 months, 9 months, or 12 months old? I have 11 of the little buggers!
tongue.png

Dan

Dan,
MOJO is only 21 weeks old and looks **** good to me. By Dec he will be almost a year old so that is when I will decide whether or not to breed him. He only has 4 points on comb and his brother COAL has 5 possibly 6 so we will see. I am mainly impressed with his width and tail set. He and his brother are the type I prefer. I recently sold MICK because his tail set wasn't what I liked. The real problem is that I am trying to keep 3 separate lines pure and that is another problem. Pick the ones you like at 6 months and cull the rest. Then do it again at 9 or 12 months. You best keep 2 or 3 because Murphys Law can and will happen with loses or predators, trust me. When you set your plans something will always happen to change them!
Kurt

Dan,
MOJO is only 21 weeks old and looks **** good to me. By Dec he will be almost a year old so that is when I will decide whether or not to breed him. He only has 4 points on comb and his brother COAL has 5 possibly 6 so we will see. I am mainly impressed with his width and tail set. He and his brother are the type I prefer. I recently sold MICK because his tail set wasn't what I liked. The real problem is that I am trying to keep 3 separate lines pure and that is another problem. Pick the ones you like at 6 months and cull the rest. Then do it again at 9 or 12 months. You best keep 2 or 3 because Murphys Law can and will happen with loses or predators, trust me. When you set your plans something will always happen to change them!
Kurt

Kurt sounds like a good plan and was what I was hoping to do. I am learning about Murphys Law this summer so I know what you mean there!! Interesting you are going to keep your lines pure. I am hoping to end up with 3 different lines and plan on breeding the best to the best, at least to see what I get. I will also breed a few to keep each line separate. Should be a journey! If I don't run out of room.

Dan

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom