Australorps breed Thread

I agree! Australorps are very smart!

I have read articles that call them stealth chickens. One person said she had hers for a couple of year when a neighbor peeked over the fence and said you have chickens? I have never heard them!

They are a great choice for a city chicken.
Mine make a goose like honk every now and then, but even that is not overly loud. As a rule, they are the quietest of my 5 breeds......

They are (supposedly) QUIET!
woot.gif

Aussies, HERE I COME!

Last edited:
Funny, I had a half Australorp who sounded like a goose as a baby. She honked so much I named her Honker!

She raised four Faverolles I got from a friend. After finishing her mama duties she went lame but recovered shortly before she died. She was a wonderful gal.

Funny, I had a half Australorp who sounded like a goose as a baby. She honked so much I named her Honker!

She raised four Faverolles I got from a friend. After finishing her mama duties she went lame but recovered shortly before she died. She was a wonderful gal.
Poor Honker.
Nice picture!!
thumbsup.gif

My Aussie hens are very quiet, but the roosters on the other hand are VERY vocal. They get into crowing contests at 2:30 am with the other roos in the barn, but in different stalls. I can almost set my watch by it. LOL

My Aussie hens are very quiet, but the roosters on the other hand are VERY vocal. They get into crowing contests at 2:30 am with the other roos in the barn, but in different stalls. I can almost set my watch by it. LOL

One of my BAs must have just lain an egg! I heard an Honking Egg song. I should record it! It sounds so funny.

I have a BA X SG Dorking pullet that is a bout 14 weeks old. I thought there was something wrong with her until I realize she was just making the Australorp honking noise!

love.gif
Gotta love them, they sound a bit like a duck sometimes!

Last edited:
Hi folks,
I agree that BA's aren't overly noisy. Some of my girls like to share with the world that they have successfully produced an egg, but as this is during daytime, it's not usually a problem. Can be handy if you want to know who's laying what egg where!
Cheers Geoff from Aus

Back
Top Bottom