Australorps breed Thread

Ok, here are some shots of my boys' girls. They did not want to cooperate at all, it was getting close to bed time !! There's 3 girls, all are about 16 weeks. All the eggs came from the same person

This pullet has a light brown eye and is destined for my layer flock.

I also have 2 hens that I purchased in June. They are a bit over 1 yr old. I'll try to get pics of them this week.

Thank you again Juanita
Very nice.

Hi Juanita,
a quick view on your girls. Firstly, they never cooperate with cameras, so we can only comment on what we see in the pics You seem on the right track so far. Am I right in that some have rounder heads than others. An Exhibition BA has a round head compared with the more aquiline type more common in Utilities. A factor to consider in selecting your breeders. Some are showing nice curve, but they're young so wait a while. Only my opinion, but I'd be more inclined to choose for conformation before eye color, just don't breed 2 brown eyes together and be prepared to cull hard for it down the line.
So that brown eye color is the utility birds or hatchery birds? That's another way you can tell?

Are you planning on showing at the NY state Fair ..? I live in Jordan
I don't think the birds I currently have are show quality. If you've ever seen the Australorps at the fair, they're magnificent ............................ and make mine look like chump change !!!

In the future I would like to show, if I can get my birds to that level of quality.

Ross,
I just got back, been gone for a week. Guess what I found in the post? Thank you very much for all your help and effort with the book. Thank Ray personally for me. My coffee is sitting on the coaster as I write.

Aveca,
Thank you also for making the payment arrangements and all your help.

Chet,
Your splash girl or blue girl just laid her first pullet egg at 18 weeks old. They were born on 3/28/13. Between your line and Tigercreek you are both beating my Urch Line pullets in laying early.
I will post some pics on the SPL. and BLU's soon. The splashes are really getting a lot of color in them, I am impressed with them.

Kurt

Speaking of first eggs, our Australorp laid her first egg today!!
celebrate.gif

Now I'm waiting on our BSL...

Back
Top Bottom