Australorps breed Thread

My birds are almost done moulting and will hopefully start laying again soon. I wanted to show off my Tigercreek birds. I had a fox kill a pullet about a month ago that really bummed me out. I still have two really nice pullets though and one of the cockerels is coming along nicely. I'm still holding out hope for the other cockerel (bottom photo).

Ya done a good job of raising them!! Congrats.....stan

I gave my chickens a pumpkin yesterday. It took them a while to figure out what to do. Of course Sienna, my Hatchery Australorp from Cackle Hatchery figured it out first:

cut it in half ...they love the seeds
My birds are almost done moulting and will hopefully start laying again soon. I wanted to show off my Tigercreek birds. I had a fox kill a pullet about a month ago that really bummed me out. I still have two really nice pullets though and one of the cockerels is coming along nicely. I'm still holding out hope for the other cockerel (bottom photo).

Wow ! Look at the curly comb on that Dude !

I gave my chickens a pumpkin yesterday. It took them a while to figure out what to do. Of course Sienna, my Hatchery Australorp from Cackle Hatchery figured it out first:

LOL they say the seeds are a good natural wormer for them Ron, you may already know this. I've been giving mine bunches of butternut squash seeds here lately. My brother in law planted some and we got some of them. Man those things are yummy! I could hurt myself eating them. lol Wondering if the butternut seeds are like the pumpkin seeds in worming them to?

LOL they say the seeds are a good natural wormer for them Ron, you may already know this. I've been giving mine bunches of butternut squash seeds here lately. My brother in law planted some and we got some of them. Man those things are yummy! I could hurt myself eating them. lol Wondering if the butternut seeds are like the pumpkin seeds in worming them to?

They love the pumpkin and it is very good for them. They also drank a lot less water today--they must have gotten a lot of liquid from the pumpkin pulp.

This is the time of year to test for worms. A vet can float test the manure. UCD will float test chicken manure for $10.50. Treat accordingly if worms are found.

If your chickens have worms, pumpkin seed will not get rid of them but can help prevent them. Testing is the way to tell for sure.

They love the pumpkin and it is very good for them. They also drank a lot less water today--they must have gotten a lot of liquid from the pumpkin pulp.

This is the time of year to test for worms. A vet can float test the manure. UCD will float test chicken manure for $10.50. Treat accordingly if worms are found.

If your chickens have worms, pumpkin seed will not get rid of them but can help prevent them. Testing is the way to tell for sure.
Any vet can do a fecal flotation. I do my own every 2 months. Here in the South, parasites are a recurring problem. All the northern birds fly in for the winter, bringing us a new load of parasites, and we don't get the killing cold to knock those bugs out. If your birds free range here, you will have parasites. It just makes sense to find out what kind, and treat accordingly.

Are you blaming us northerners for exporting our bugs in the winter???? Just because they are smarter than the humans, it's not our fault! ;)

Morning everyone !
Seriously, we are a bit better off up here with that sort of thing as the ground is already freezing (25o this morning). We do have nasty bugs that are all ours too like the northern fowl mite. Nasty critter. I bought a young Aussie bird this summer that looked ok till it started shedding intestinal lining. Thought it had a bad case of cocci but it turned out to be the worst case of round worms I've seen in a bird that was still alive. He's just now finally starting to develop. So stunted that he's a full five months old and hasn't even tried to crow yet.
Unfortunately, up here you can't find a vet that will even do a fecal float on poultry. They will only take it and send it off to the state lab :idunno

Every time I see your lines / net..I think what a lot of  work that took ...it looks wonderful .

It wasn't HARD work. Better than a stairmaster work out though, with all the goings up and down on ladders !

Hi Dragonlady :frow

I checked out your lines. Great idea and a beautiful job! :thumbsup
Seriously thinking to start on that this weekend. It would work much better than bird netting with the snow load we get up here for sure and we need something as we have a problem even in winter with eagles and hawks and a great horned owl that lives in our woods.

Hi Dragonlady
frow.gif

I checked out your lines. Great idea and a beautiful job!
thumbsup.gif

Seriously thinking to start on that this weekend. It would work much better than bird netting with the snow load we get up here for sure and we need something as we have a problem even in winter with eagles and hawks and a great horned owl that lives in our woods.
The Hawks and eagles are a real problem here in late summer, and fall. They are pairing, and migrating.Young Bald Eagles, Goldens, and Red Tails everywhere. In the Spring and summer, my crows run them off, but not in the fall after their babies are raised, and flying with the murders.This has worked very well here. According to a pilot friend, the lines re very visible from the air, and shine in the sun.

Back
Top Bottom