Australorps breed Thread

Shine of feathers and camouflage amazes me, I had pea fowl years ago and they would totally disappear in the trees when the sun would change angles. Breed replacement is a challenge for me, more correctly called elimination, four breeds need to eliminate two and eventually only have one, not making a decision only makes the problem worse.

MeanV2: What ever happened to your buckeyes (the rest of the story)?

John

I raised 3 of the Buckeye pullets to mid Feb. They had and were laying good all winter. I rehomed them to concentrate more on my Aussies.

Dan

Lunch time.
big_smile.png

If you very astute breeders don't mind, I would like to ask all of you a "rooky" question, actually two.. My new chicks will be arriving in April and in my prepping, thinking I did not want to take chances (after Max) I bought a 40 lb bag of medicated chick starter. As long as they are in the brooder and their seperation/introduction run, there is no problem but here is my question. I know they should stay on the starter/grower until just before POL. Do they stay on the medicated that long and if so, is it alright for my older hens and roo to also eat the medicated feed after I integrate them? (sorry if this is a dumb question but I have never used the medicated feed before).

My other question; How long can round worm oocysts survive in the soil once it's frozen solid? I ask because the introduction run is where Max was held when he was so sick (all of August thru mid/end of September). Is there anything I should treat that area with? I tried very hard to keep it super clean while he and his brother were kept in there.

Thank you all in advance for any input and opinions.
smile.png

If you very astute breeders don't mind, I would like to ask all of you a "rooky" question, actually two.. My new chicks will be arriving in April and in my prepping, thinking I did not want to take chances (after Max) I bought a 40 lb bag of medicated chick starter. As long as they are in the brooder and their seperation/introduction run, there is no problem but here is my question. I know they should stay on the starter/grower until just before POL. Do they stay on the medicated that long and if so, is it alright for my older hens and roo to also eat the medicated feed after I integrate them? (sorry if this is a dumb question but I have never used the medicated feed before).

My other question; How long can round worm oocysts survive in the soil once it's frozen solid? I ask because the introduction run is where Max was held when he was so sick (all of August thru mid/end of September). Is there anything I should treat that area with? I tried very hard to keep it super clean while he and his brother were kept in there.

smile.png
You can buy a 50 pound bag of salt for about 6 bucks at a feed store and apply a generous layer on the area. That will destroy worm eggs but regardless...checking for worms and treating accordingly is a must. Oh...you shouldn't need the entire bag but it's best to have some on hand for dealing with such situations.

As for the medicated feed...I'm a little obtuse when it comes to it's use so I'll let others deal with that...

Good luck!

smile.png

I do not use medicated feed. It is not necessary until they hit the ground. I watch them and if they look sick I treat with corid.

I send a poo sample in at the season change to test for round worms. If the test finds worms I treat with either ivermectrin or next time one of the cattle paste worm medicines. The big problem here in California this year is mites.

Wild birds bring the parasites so it does not matter how long the eggs live in the soil.

Last edited:

smile.png
Keep your babies on medicated feed until 4 1/2 months old. A creep feeder that they can go into, but the older birds can't, is easy to make. Med. feed will NOT hurt your adult birds though. Mine steal it all the time.

Last edited:

smile.png

My chicks get medicates feed from day one. I switch them over to flock raiser or another grower feed after the first bag of medicated is gone. They will have built up an immunity to the coccidiosis. The medicated feed contains amplorium which does nothing for round worms, only gives them a tolerance for the cocci cysts. My thinking is that there is no reason to wait till they get sick to give them the amplorium. A natural way to protect them is to give them a small amount of dirt from the pen so they can gradually build up a natural immunity, just like momma would do if they were being raised by a broody.

Back
Top Bottom