Australorps breed Thread

Oh, they DO poop on you!! And not the nice "normal" poo but that nasty wet baby poo.
So, WHY would I want a chicken on my shoulder? I guess the same reason we like to watch their other antics. There is a special connection when a bird is at your eye level - they get a unique perspective and so do you as you watch them look around (once you let them know that eyes and teeth are NOT the main attraction and are off limits).
My Light Brahma cockerel only walks up my arm when he wants to be tucked in and set on the high perch. It is cool such a big guy trusts me like that when otherwise he he is pretty skittish.
Penny Poo-poo, (EE) in the other hand, is always approaching me in search of something good to eat and because she is top dog chicken! She scans the sky and is always thinking even if I can't discern what.
My Aussie, Lorpy-Lu, is like a little Sinatra, doing it her own way. She hop-flys on a couple different height steps until she can get up to my arm or shoulder where her buddy, Red, the BSL has already flown up ages before. It is hilarious. Lorpy chirps the whole time, too!
I train all my birds the command, "up". It makes getting them to do other things I want easier. Some fly up, some hop, some walk up. If I give the command and then have to grab and hold them, they seem to be more accepting of it than if I just chase and grab.
I only have 4, so they are soooo spoiled and I probably have way too much time on my hands!

Oh, they DO poop on you!! And not the nice "normal" poo but that nasty wet baby poo.
So, WHY would I want a chicken on my shoulder? I guess the same reason we like to watch their other antics. There is a special connection when a bird is at your eye level - they get a unique perspective and so do you as you watch them look around (once you let them know that eyes and teeth are NOT the main attraction and are off limits).
My Light Brahma cockerel only walks up my arm when he wants to be tucked in and set on the high perch. It is cool such a big guy trusts me like that when otherwise he he is pretty skittish.
Penny Poo-poo, (EE) in the other hand, is always approaching me in search of something good to eat and because she is top dog chicken! She scans the sky and is always thinking even if I can't discern what.
My Aussie, Lorpy-Lu, is like a little Sinatra, doing it her own way. She hop-flys on a couple different height steps until she can get up to my arm or shoulder where her buddy, Red, the BSL has already flown up ages before. It is hilarious. Lorpy chirps the whole time, too!
I train all my birds the command, "up". It makes getting them to do other things I want easier. Some fly up, some hop, some walk up. If I give the command and then have to grab and hold them, they seem to be more accepting of it than if I just chase and grab.
I only have 4, so they are soooo spoiled and I probably have way too much time on my hands!
Yeah, they save the nasty poo poo just for us! My girls are always jumping on me!

They all seem to think my ring is something to eat too!

The big girls will peck at the holes in my Croks. Sometimes they get close to a toe....They are a lot of fun and those without them do not know what they are missing!

My sister is scared of chickens. I got her to touch one of my Austaralorps. She was surprised at how soft the feathers were. So where did she think "Soft as a feather bed" came from?

Our eyes are a great temptation for most if not all birds. I have 6 little ones, all around 80 grams...not normal "pet" birds, but rescues that could never be released. They have pointy beaks and if they get an eye it can cause real damage. Our eyes are shiny and reflective and birds, including our BA's, think that is something to eat or explore.
If you like your chick to perch on your shoulder, get a pair of goggles - the kind you'd wear to keep dust out of your eyes. Much safer than even regular glasses.

BTW, a little poop never hurt anyone. I understand some expensive salons use bird poop for facials. And you ain't been pooped on until your pet pigeon, who likes riding on top of your head, lets one slither down the side of your face
barnie.gif

And yes, I have BA's, 12 of 'em. One roo, eleven ladies, now almost 17 weeks old, and yes, I'll post some pics soon!

Our eyes are a great temptation for most if not all birds. I have 6 little ones, all around 80 grams...not normal "pet" birds, but rescues that could never be released. They have pointy beaks and if they get an eye it can cause real damage. Our eyes are shiny and reflective and birds, including our BA's, think that is something to eat or explore.
If you like your chick to perch on your shoulder, get a pair of goggles - the kind you'd wear to keep dust out of your eyes. Much safer than even regular glasses.

BTW, a little poop never hurt anyone. I understand some expensive salons use bird poop for facials. And you ain't been pooped on until your pet pigeon, who likes riding on top of your head, lets one slither down the side of your face
barnie.gif

And yes, I have BA's, 12 of 'em. One roo, eleven ladies, now almost 17 weeks old, and yes, I'll post some pics soon!
You have pigeons too?

Henrietta

Win Dixie

Can some tell me if these 2 girls are really BA? They are both smaller than my others, Expecially WDixie..... Their coloring is green and black no purple no blue... Black feet, pink soles black beak......feathers around neck seem normal...Henrietta seems to be built different than WD.... Both are wild as can be... Do you think they are bantams? Bad HQ? Or mixed?

Henrietta

Win Dixie

Can some tell me if these 2 girls are really BA? They are both smaller than my others, Expecially WDixie..... Their coloring is green and black no purple no blue... Black feet, pink soles black beak......feathers around neck seem normal...Henrietta seems to be built different than WD.... Both are wild as can be... Do you think they are bantams? Bad HQ? Or mixed?
How much do they weigh?

They look like Australorps but are not Show Quality. The second one has a dropped wing so it is out for showing or breeding.

They look like a great addition to your flock for sure.

How much do they weigh?

They look like Australorps but are not Show Quality. The second one has a dropped wing so it is out for showing or breeding.

They look like a great addition to your flock for sure.

I'm not sure how much they weigh... I need to get a scale.... Yes I know they aren't show quality. Lol. I'm new to this and the body shapes just look different plus they are 18 weeks and look small compared to my other breeds, that's why I was thinking bantams? Also what would make her wing drop? How can you tell? I've never noticed..... Thx

I'm not sure how much they weigh... I need to get a scale.... Yes I know they aren't show quality. Lol. I'm new to this and the body shapes just look different plus they are 18 weeks and look small compared to my other breeds, that's why I was thinking bantams? Also what would make her wing drop? How can you tell? I've never noticed..... Thx

Wing dropping is genetic. Hatchery Australorp pullets can weigh 3 to 4 pounds when fully grown. They are much smaller and have some body shape issues by being crossed with leghorns somewhere at the hatchery level.

A lot of hatchery birds are crossed with leghorn to help with feather sexing.

Last edited:

Wing dropping is genetic. Hatchery Australorp pullets can weigh 3 to 4 pounds when fully grown. They are much smaller and have some body shape issues by being crossed with leghorns somewhere at the hatchery level.

A lot of hatchery birds are crossed with leghorn to help with feather sexing.
[/

Ok thank you!! Explains a lot... Maybe why they are so flighty too....

Back
Top Bottom