Australorps breed Thread

Btm australorp
hahahaha! *ding* *ding* *ding* you're the winner! Tell him what he's won, Ron!
:thumbsup Very nice! Welcome to BYC!
Welcome to BYC sign! In all honesty though, I miss the days when things had labels...In language...not pictures. What is the world coming to.

Last edited:
My Aussie goes cuckoo for beans. Refried and pintos so far are a big hit. Along with starter feed, of course. But while my BSL tucks in to that when I interrupt their free- ranging with food offerings, Ms. Sinatra, is easily distracted. She is only totally quiet when she is eating and the chick starter is just boring now, apparently.

I think they are 5 weeks now.

well my Aussie Roo nailed me today I have a 1 1/2 inch slash on my leg below my knee ..
Boy does it hurt ..I washed it with soap a couple times 7 put antibiotic ointment on it .
.I must have been acting non dominate .
I was taking them out treats so he was behind me ...They were all chasing me to catch up ..He hasnt done it in a long while ..
Well he didnt get any treats ! I chased him trying to hit & kick him ..Ended up throwing a spoon at him ...several times
He knew he was bad ...he stayed on the other side of the coop from me
I guess he is going to get lessons for a few days .

My Aussie goes cuckoo for beans. Refried and pintos so far are a big hit. Along with starter feed, of course. But while my BSL tucks in to that when I interrupt their free- ranging with food offerings, Ms. Sinatra, is easily distracted. She is only totally quiet when she is eating and the chick starter is just boring now, apparently.

I think they are 5 weeks now.
Mine dont like beans ...Cooked Beans are okay but not dried Beans
http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2013/04/7-things-you-shouldnt-feed-your-chickens.html

Someone from work ate some soaked beans that are soft enough to eat but are still raw.

The soaked beans gave them an upset stomach--and some cramping.
Here is some science behind the undercooked beans.

Eating soaked raw or undercooked beans can result in food poisoning. The culprit is a plant lectin known as phytohaemagglutinin or simply hemagglutinin, a chemical known to cause agglutination of mammalian red blood cells and to disrupt cellular metabolism. According to the US Food and Drug Administration, phytohaemagglutinin is found in many types of beans, but red kidney beans contain the highest levels of hemagglutinin. White kidney beans contain a third as much toxin while broad varieties of beans contain 10% as much hemagglutinin as red kidney beans. This is still plenty, since you only need to eat 4-5 undercooked red kidney beans to get sick.
Bean Poisoning Symptoms

Symptoms start to appear within 1 to 3 hours after consuming the beans and include nausea and vomiting followed by diarrhea and, in some cases, abdominal pain. Although the symptoms may be severe enough to warrant hospitalization, they resolve spontaneously within a few hours. Everyone is susceptible, regardless of age, gender or other factors.
Preventing Bean Poisoning

It is easy to prevent bean poisoning. The recommended procedure is to boil soaked raw beans in water for at least 10 minutes. It is important that the water reach boiling or 100°C, since exposing the compound to 80° C actually increases its toxicity about 5 times.

Here is some science behind the undercooked beans.

Eating soaked raw or undercooked beans can result in food poisoning. The culprit is a plant lectin known as phytohaemagglutinin or simply hemagglutinin, a chemical known to cause agglutination of mammalian red blood cells and to disrupt cellular metabolism. According to the US Food and Drug Administration, phytohaemagglutinin is found in many types of beans, but red kidney beans contain the highest levels of hemagglutinin. White kidney beans contain a third as much toxin while broad varieties of beans contain 10% as much hemagglutinin as red kidney beans. This is still plenty, since you only need to eat 4-5 undercooked red kidney beans to get sick.
Bean Poisoning Symptoms

Symptoms start to appear within 1 to 3 hours after consuming the beans and include nausea and vomiting followed by diarrhea and, in some cases, abdominal pain. Although the symptoms may be severe enough to warrant hospitalization, they resolve spontaneously within a few hours. Everyone is susceptible, regardless of age, gender or other factors.
Preventing Bean Poisoning

It is easy to prevent bean poisoning. The recommended procedure is to boil soaked raw beans in water for at least 10 minutes. It is important that the water reach boiling or 100°C, since exposing the compound to 80° C actually increases its toxicity about 5 times.
Thanks for posting the article!

A lot of people do not know this and if trying out a raw food diet, may try eating soaked raw beans, or add them to fermented feed. If so, you would have some sick chickens.

Thanks for posting the article!

A lot of people do not know this and if trying out a raw food diet, may try eating soaked raw beans, or add them to fermented feed. If so, you would have some sick chickens.

I didn't know it until I saw the posts above it. I started doing some research and I felt it was worth sharing.

Back
Top Bottom