Australorps breed Thread

Thanks not my birds... I pic I captured trying to figure out what a Black Minorca was.
What about Ennis Chicken Farm ..your avatar could be your logo ..that would cover everyone

These are my Babies a mixed flock ...Papa is a Aussie..enjoying the snow path that I shoveled
lau.gif

The snow is beautiful, I'm in Nashville so don't get to see how my chickens would behave in the snow!
That is funny because I live just about as north as you can get in the main 48 and don't get very much snow either (1"-12" annually)
Everybody goes
hide.gif
when it snows.
gig.gif

Last edited:
Quote: Ours go out ...they have a place to go... under our deck ..they dust bath under there .
so if there is a path ..they will come out .I think they are snow blind .( cant see a way out with out a path ..it looks all white to them .)
Then of course they leave their signature on the path so it is well marked after that ..
lau.gif

Some people s chickens dont come out... at all ...they hibernate..I guess they are Too CHICKEN !

Okay, my inexperience with raising chickens is about to become completely evident, but I've got a question for you guys...

Yesterday morning when I let my flock out of the coop as usual, they all ran to the food troughs except one of my Australorps, Evie. She instead made her way to an area just behind the coop, hunkered down, and started making some noises I've never heard any of them make before. Almost instantly the other three Australorp pullets crowded around her and they just stood there quietly while she remained quietly squatted. They stayed that way for several minutes while the other birds in my flock ate, and then Evie quietly rose and made her way over to the feeders along with the others. At first I thought she was just frightened by the sound of the machinery being used to shake the pecan trees behind our house, but why would she squat like that? She's only 3 months old, so way too young to think about laying eggs, right? Is this a normal behavior that just seems new to me?

The rest of the day she was perfectly "normal" and just as chatty and affectionate as usual. I'm perplexed!

Okay, my inexperience with raising chickens is about to become completely evident, but I've got a question for you guys...

Yesterday morning when I let my flock out of the coop as usual, they all ran to the food troughs except one of my Australorps, Evie. She instead made her way to an area just behind the coop, hunkered down, and started making some noises I've never heard any of them make before. Almost instantly the other three Australorp pullets crowded around her and they just stood there quietly while she remained quietly squatted. They stayed that way for several minutes while the other birds in my flock ate, and then Evie quietly rose and made her way over to the feeders along with the others. At first I thought she was just frightened by the sound of the machinery being used to shake the pecan trees behind our house, but why would she squat like that? She's only 3 months old, so way too young to think about laying eggs, right? Is this a normal behavior that just seems new to me?

The rest of the day she was perfectly "normal" and just as chatty and affectionate as usual. I'm perplexed!

Chickens, like people, can be off kilter just a bit with no serious ramifications. Could have been just a minor case of 'vapor lock'...But if it happens again and becomes or frequent event, I'd start looking for causes...JMHO

Is it possible that she is closer to 16 weeks old? What do her wattles and comb look like.

Post a picture of her free ranging.

Chicken prayer meeting??

As long as her behavior stays the same and she isn't droopy, lethargic, stumbling, puffed, leaking weird fluids, off her food/water, or smelling pungent, I imagine she'll be okay. Could you see if she passed anything when she got up?

It may be worth a closer inspection, though. If you pick her up, does she feel healthy? Can you feel any masses in her abdomen? How are her eyes? Does she have any nasal discharge, wheezing, or bubbly eyes? Does she seem spry?

If it would make you more comfortable, you can put her in a dog crate with some food and water for a few days to isolate and monitor her to see if anything develops or not. Sometimes an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. <3

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom