Australorps breed Thread

my girls tail is too big for her! She's 11 weeks

We have talked about this before, double yolkers seem exciting, but are definitely a problem down the road. There is a problem in the ovaduct to cause this to happen and usually does not end well for the chicken, sorry.
Kurt

that makes since ...that repeated double yolkers could be a problem .
but dont all chicken s lay a occasional double yolker ?

I have had my hens for two years now and they have not gone Brody yet? How often do they go broody ? I have a friends rooster visiting and just kind of hoping I can get chicks from him with my girl without me doing any of the work.
wink.png

Are these hatchery chickens ? They rarely go broody ..it has been bred out of them ..
Heritage / Breeder chickens can go broody once or twice a year ..
My little Sumatra Hen did it 2 times last year ...spring & fall

that makes since ...that repeated double yolkers could be a problem .
but dont all chicken s lay a occasional double yolker ?

It's not unusual for young pullets to lay a few doubles early-on but it's the continuation of laying them that generally spells problems...eventually death to the persistent double yolk layers.

I dont have one personally but my barn where I have my horse has 3 of them. I just love them! They come right up to you and let them get picked up and held. They are so sweet and gentle. BYC was sold out and I was pretty bummed when I picked my breeds. In a few years I hope to have them of these lovely ladies.

Back
Top Bottom