Australorps breed Thread

Our last adventure with a rooster wasn't very positive. We have a neighbour behind us who doesn't want us to have chickens. When their complaints to council didn't work because we have every right to have chickens and the council inspection found everything clean and how it should be they then started complaining our rooster was waking them at 5 am. Truth of the matter is in winter you can see their lights on at 5am even without a rooster crowing so it was just an excuse, their bedrooms are further away than ours and he didn't wake us.

Then the rooster decided to begin a vendetta against my youngest. If he saw her he would attack her. He even threw himself against the wire trying to get her if she walked past the pen and if the chooks were out she couldn't be in the yard. As much as the kids all still she'd a tear when he left it was a huge relief when he was gone.

So we are going to have a limit of how long we can hide he is there plus how long we can string council along saying we are trying to re home him once they report him. I'm thinking I might try the collar as a friend of my sisters is having good results. Actually the council guy said "we can't make you get rid of the rooster but we can charge you with a noise complaint" so if the collar keeps the noise down that would buy us a fair bit of time.

Mind you now I'm excited at this idea we will end up with two girls lol
Gee your neighbour sounds like a pain in the butt!

Hopefully any future roosters you have won't be aggressive ones. I agree with the others, the early crowers tend to be more aggressive. My australorp rooster is incredibly placid, he's never tried to attack me. My other boy had a few goes when he was just figuring out what to do with all that testosterone... then he was good for ages... but the last couple of months he has suddenly turned nasty! I can't go in the pen without gum boots on because he goes for the back of my legs and gets me with his spurs! From my experience the worst thing to do is run away or retaliate. I just stand there for a bit and eventually slowly walk away. I don't want him to think I want to fight with him, or that I am running away from him!

I reckon you get used to the sound of a rooster crowing. I've got my Australorp pen right outside my bedroom window, so he's probably 5 meters away when he crows! When he first started crowing, it woke me up, but now days I don't notice it all, I just sleep right through it! :)

People sleep next to train lines and never wake once they get used to the train noise so imagine roosters would be the same.

Mind you we stayed at a b&b once and I seriously wanted to strangle the rooster outside our window crowing at 2am!

Roosters are great at noticing weaknesses / timidness .
Im thinking because you dont do anything ...he thinks he won ...
I would start the aggression to him ...dont turn your back on him & make him move out of your way ..
are they penned all the time ? if not ..I would chase him out of the coop ...when you go in ..
If a rooster attacks me ...my hand & arm , or foot ...come out swinging at him
Somehow he has gotten a different signal from you ..that he is the boss now .
He may not unlearn this ...we have eaten ones that didnt .
There is plenty of Roosters in the world no reason to keep a mean one
Also if you have a aggressive rooster dont breed it ...some people think the aggression is past on to future generations ..
but it could also be a learned trait ..

Last edited:
Roosters are great at noticing weaknesses / timidness .
Im thinking because you dont do anything ...he thinks he won ...
I would start the aggression to him ...dont turn your back on him & make him move out of your way ..
are they penned all the time ? if not ..I would chase him out of the coop ...when you go in ..
If a rooster attacks me ...my hand & arm , or foot ...come out swinging at him
Somehow he has gotten a different signal from you ..that he is the boss now .
He may not unlearn this ...we have eaten ones that didnt .
There is plenty of Roosters in the world no reason to keep a mean one
Also if you have a aggressive rooster dont breed it ...some people think the aggression is past on to future generations ..
but it could also be a learned trait ..
Interesting! From my experience, reacting to the rooster's aggression just makes them worse. In the past I've found picking them up and holding them for a bit every day fixes the problem but this fella won't let me catch him...

I never turn my back on him, and I watch him constantly if I see him coming at me I turn around and face him, sometimes take a step towards him - this makes him stop and give up. But I never chase him or react aggressively in any way.

He's not too bad, I've had roosters that just want to constantly attack people... they got eaten. But unfortunately this boy struck a weak spot in my heart... he's a bit of a pet now
idunno.gif
It's the only reason I've kept him really... he's a mixed breed so not really any use for breeding.

Welcome @Nanna34! Always room for one more australorp fancier :)

I'm still learning the finer points of how they should look but they look great to me :). Love the chicks!

My lady's first egg. Hers is the darker one, the other one is from a speckled Sussex.

I think she was just as surprised as I was here. Lol

Back
Top Bottom