Australorps breed Thread

Correct me if wrong please.

Further to my what if it's a boy thoughts.......

I have a splash hen from x breeder last year

This year I have eggs from same x breeder but she mentioned she only has a black rooster at the moment. Was Looking at that colour chart and it occurred to me it's impossible for a black rooster to produce a splash hen isn't it? So that means anything that hatches this year can't possibly be a sibling of the one that hatched last year?

Which means I should be able to breed them without genetic problems rearing their heads?

But if they both hatch and it's a boy and a girl I can't breed those two?

Last edited:
Correct me if wrong please.

Further to my what if it's a boy thoughts.......

I have a splash hen from x breeder last year

This year I have eggs from same x breeder but she mentioned she only has a black rooster at the moment. Was Looking at that colour chart and it occurred to me it's impossible for a black rooster to produce a splash hen isn't it? So that means anything that hatches this year can't possibly be a sibling of the one that hatched last year?

Which means I should be able to breed them without genetic problems rearing their heads?

But if they both hatch and it's a boy and a girl I can't breed those two?

Even if they were sired by the same cock, I feel certain you could breed them with absolutely no fear in getting any phenotypical monsters, unless one or both of the birds used in the breeding had the deviant gene.

EDIT: Most breeders do breed siblings, daughters/sons to parents.

Last edited:
A breeder of a different breed told me siblings increase chances of cross beak and split wing but to parents is ok. So it's a bonus to work out they can't be siblings, yay!

Now the darn things just need to hatch, half way through day 20!

Last edited:
A breeder of a different breed told me siblings increase chances of cross beak and split wing but to parents is ok. So it's a bonus to work out they can't be siblings, yay!

Now the darn things just need to hatch, half way through day 20!

If inbreeding/line-breeding is NOT utilized, one will be all over the map, particularly with size...egg laying ability, and 'you name it'.

Finding a crossed beak chick or even two in a hatch is a cheap price to pay...that can be bred away from....And 'scatter-breeding' is by no means a guarantee that genetic monsters wont appear...in fact it might be more of a certainty.

This year I have eggs from same x breeder but she mentioned she only has a black rooster at the moment.So that means anything that hatches this year can't possibly be a sibling of the one that hatched last year?
Did she / he have the black rooster last year ?
If not I would say they arent related through the Rooster ...
Depending on how many hens she / he has ? most of them would probably not be related through the hens..

Did she / he have the black rooster last year ?
If not I would say they arent related through the Rooster ...
Depending on how many hens she / he has ? most of them would probably not be related through the hens..

She may have had him then but I was looking at this and Im thinking there is no way if that is how the colours work a black rooster could have sired my splash.

She may have had him then but I was looking at this and Im thinking there is no way if that is how the colours work a black rooster could have sired my splash.
You are correct about that. Black should be bred back to splash every once in awhile or the splash and blue will fade.

So I had a hen sitting on 5 random eggs from my flock, all cross breeds except for 1 pure bantam australorp egg... They hatched last night and I was surprised to find two black chicks! One is an Australorp, one is not... anyone have thoughts on which one is the Australorp? One is distinctly darker in colour but doesn't quite look the same as the Australorp chicks I've seen in the past.

I'm going to guess that the one at the back is the Australorp? Terrible photos I know...

Back
Top Bottom