Australorps breed Thread

So I wanted to post the beginning of my Australorp adventure !
Just acquired 28 of the boogers. Straight run , so I can have a few to eat .
Hope to get too know everyone and learn as much as possible.
Be well , and thanks for looking :)

So I wanted to post the beginning of my Australorp adventure !
Just acquired 28 of the boogers. Straight run , so I can have a few to eat .
Hope to get too know everyone and learn as much as possible.
Be well , and thanks for looking
smile.png

WHITE Australorps? That is new to me. Looks like a bunch of healthy chicks you have there.

If you are not aware, more people's chickens are killed by their own dogs than other people's dogs. Hopefully you have a plan to keep them separate unless you can determine that the dogs have NO interest in the chickens.

AND in your "separation" plans, chicken wire is meant to keep chickens in or out, plenty of predators can rip through it in seconds.

WHITE Australorps? That is new to me. Looks like a bunch of healthy chicks you have there.

If you are not aware, more people's chickens are killed by their own dogs than other people's dogs. Hopefully you have a plan to keep them separate unless you can determine that the dogs have NO interest in the chickens.

AND in your "separation" plans, chicken wire is meant to keep chickens in or out, plenty of predators can rip through it in seconds.

My dogs will never touch any of my birds. My neighbors dogs I worry about because they have hunting dogs.

Chicken wire if you do it a certain way you can prevent or at least make it more difficult for predators to gain access.

Bruce,
Very good advise. Chicken wire is useless when dealing with bears, raccoons, weasels, minks, opossums, your neighbors dogs, bobcats, foxes etc. I have seen them all rip right thru it. Oh yea, he said the white ones are mixed sex links.
Kurt

Last edited:

The white ones are a sex link. They were free with the purchase of the BA .I am taking all the dividers but two out. The lady that we bought the place from raised Show Silkies and other birds in the coop for 30 + years.
I plan on putting a fence run around the side to the back.
As for the dogs, they wouldn't . They are exceptionally trained, and if they do, well we will devise a way they cant :)
Yes, I dont care for the wire myself, yet its gonna be a work in progress.
What would you recommend over the wire?

1/2" hardware cloth is pretty standard but you don't need to encase the entire area in it, it is expensive. You can use welded wire fencing and run 1/2" hardware cloth up 2 feet. That will keep raccoons from reaching through and grabbing an unwary bird. Also a good idea to bury a wire skirt out about 18" to stop digging predators. Again this can be welded wire fencing; dogs, coyotes, foxes are the most likely diggers and they won't fit through the openings nor can they break the wire by digging. And if you get voles or mice digging under, well they won't eat your chickens though you might notice the feed bill is higher than you expect.

I would still watch the dogs
wink.png
I've heard of more than one dog that was very obedient when the owner was around. But you know the old saying: "When the cat is away, the dogs will chase the chickens". Or something like that.
big_smile.png

1/2" hardware cloth is pretty standard but you don't need to encase the entire area in it, it is expensive. You can use welded wire fencing and run 1/2" hardware cloth up 2 feet. That will keep raccoons from reaching through and grabbing an unwary bird. Also a good idea to bury a wire skirt out about 18" to stop digging predators. Again this can be welded wire fencing; dogs, coyotes, foxes are the most likely diggers and they won't fit through the openings nor can they break the wire by digging. And if you get voles or mice digging under, well they won't eat your chickens though you might notice the feed bill is higher than you expect.

I would still watch the dogs
wink.png
I've heard of more than one dog that was very obedient when the owner was around. But you know the old saying: "When the cat is away, the dogs will chase the chickens". Or something like that.
big_smile.png
goodpost.gif
and
yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom