Australorps breed Thread

Hey guys I have three young 'lorp cockerels almost 3 months old and I was wondering what are good qualities (physical, behavioral, and temperament wise) that I should look for in choosing a good australorp rooster? The cockerel of my choice will eventually be in a flock of dominique hens. Thanks!!
Blueclip,
Right now at three months they are still babies. As far as the good qualities that you listed. Only physical could be judged at this age other than being crippled or a squirrel tail. You are crossbreeding with Doms so it really does not matter which one you pick. Just pick the one that looks good to you and seems to have a decent temperment. I believe with that cross only the cockerels will exhibit the barring, not the pullets, I think. How, and why, did you decide on this particular cross?
Kurt

Hey Kurt,

I'm actually not breeding them. I wanted australorp hens but these guys ended up being cockerels. Where I live it's actually hard to find australorps let alone started lorp pullets so I kind of took these guys on a whim (they were free, should've been a red flag that they were males). So in the midst of all this I've decided that since I didn't get a hen, I should at least keep a roo. My dom rooster is really nice and I will miss him a lot but he is the full/half brother to my hens (would be strange in case they do end up breeding of course) and plus I want a bigger rooster. My dom rooster was able to successfully defend all my pullets during a fox attack back in the fall that left two of his brothers dead. They were only 3 months old at the time! But yeah, I really wanted aussies and I would be very regretful if I let them go since I don't want to buy from a hatchery (not cost and logistically good for me) and they are hard to find where I am at, so I'll keep one and I hope he's good. Should I pick the "leader" of the group? He seems to be forthcoming to me and eats out of my hand and seems decent physically...

I understand, noone wants an aggressive bird. How should he behave? What kind of physical traits should he have? How should be behave towards his hens?

The rooster shouldn't just go chasing hens and pecking them and not breeding. Only need for a rooster is breeding not causing a problem. Physical traits it's mainly up to you. My flock is a utility for egg production not show quality. There are others that prefer the show quality over utility.

Hey Kurt,

I'm actually not breeding them. I wanted australorp hens but these guys ended up being cockerels. Where I live it's actually hard to find australorps let alone started lorp pullets so I kind of took these guys on a whim (they were free, should've been a red flag that they were males). So in the midst of all this I've decided that since I didn't get a hen, I should at least keep a roo. My dom rooster is really nice and I will miss him a lot but he is the full/half brother to my hens (would be strange in case they do end up breeding of course) and plus I want a bigger rooster. My dom rooster was able to successfully defend all my pullets during a fox attack back in the fall that left two of his brothers dead. They were only 3 months old at the time! But yeah, I really wanted aussies and I would be very regretful if I let them go since I don't want to buy from a hatchery (not cost and logistically good for me) and they are hard to find where I am at, so I'll keep one and I hope he's good. Should I pick the "leader" of the group? He seems to be forthcoming to me and eats out of my hand and seems decent physically...

Sounds like you already have a good friendly rooster. Having had one that's life mission became to attack my youngest and got more and more aggressive towards me I'd be hanging on to my good one until I was 100% sure I hadn't swapped for a dud. How many hens will there be? If it's a large enough flock you could keep two.

Have you thought of buying Aussie eggs to let a broody one hatch? That's how I had to get mine. They came from the other side of the country.

Last edited:
No I don't care about hatching. Don't want to raise chicks again.

My flock is VERY small. Only have 5 hens. I am looking to add a few more because 5 is not enough for my current rooster.

My situation is a double-edged sword: If I hang on to the lorps for long, then there will be problems between them and the other hens and roosters; if I get rid of everyone and keep one lorp, then he is too young to fend for himself against the dom hens who are bigger and older than him.

What is the wisest way to go forward?

Slow growing or not. The average chick grows 800% in 4 weeks, which I still think is amazing.

It really is! Its exhausting, hence all the 'passed out drunk' sleeping.
lau.gif

Blue,
To your first ? eat the Lorps and keep the Doms, problem solved! Look for more Dom hens. Better option than crossing!
Your second ? about looks of Lorps. Go to my profile and check out the pics under Australorp Breed Thread. There are alot of different age pics.
Kurt

Back
Top Bottom