Australorps breed Thread

My blue australorps are just older than 6 weeks. When can one expect to see wattle development and for combs to get red? I have one that looks like it is getting pink (chick 1 in photos). I've added some photos and would love some thoughts - so impatient - almost as impatient as my chicks being photographed!
2017-05-29 21.41.36.jpg
2017-05-29 21.41.36.jpg
2017-05-29 21.53.50.jpg
2017-05-29 21.45.31.jpg
2017-05-29 21.50.56.jpg
2017-05-29 21.47.22.jpg
2017-05-29 21.43.33.jpg
2017-05-29 21.49.04.jpg

When I went out to feed, water, and collect eggs yesterday, I had to laugh. In the pen that my young Blue rooster is in, he was trying to breed with a Black hen in there, and one of the Blue hens chased him off the Black. He has been trying so hard with them. Anyways, just out of curiosity, I cracked open 2 of the eggs from that pen to check to see if he was managing to do anything. One of the eggs was fertile and one was not, so it shouldn't be much longer until all the girls start surrendering, I think.

My blue australorps are just older than 6 weeks. When can one expect to see wattle development and for combs to get red? I have one that looks like it is getting pink (chick 1 in photos). I've added some photos and would love some thoughts - so impatient - almost as impatient as my chicks being photographed!
View attachment 1023235 View attachment 1023235 View attachment 1023238 View attachment 1023240 View attachment 1023241 View attachment 1023243 View attachment 1023244 View attachment 1023245
Honestly, they all look like hens to me, but I could be wrong. Here's one of my black cockerels at exactly 6 weeks, just for comparison.
0405171622a.jpg

Honestly, they all look like hens to me, but I could be wrong. Here's one of my black cockerels at exactly 6 weeks, just for comparison.
View attachment 1037220

Thank you cactusrota!
Here is the latest pics of 1,3 and 4 I took today. Thinking 3 is a girl for sure - no wattles. Wattles are starting on 1 & 4 but they are still looking pink. 2 looks similar to 1 & 4 - off free ranging somewhere else. I am thinking they may be girls as well but still not sure. No major difference between leg size and not sure if their saddle feathers are looking pointy or not. Anyway - they are a day short of 9 weeks today! Such cuties.

2017-06-15 21.29.49.jpg
2017-06-15 21.32.47.jpg
2017-06-15 21.36.45.jpg
2017-06-15 21.34.48.jpg

Last edited:
My girls are 11 weeks old now and they look exactly like your chick 3. No wattles and tiny comb. I love your blue color - they're so pretty! I wonder how hard it would be to find them in the US. I've never heard of them until BYC.

My girls are 11 weeks old now and they look exactly like your chick 3. No wattles and tiny comb. I love your blue color - they're so pretty! I wonder how hard it would be to find them in the US. I've never heard of them until BYC.

Thanks for the reply! I figure it's always nice to post the progression of chicks, just in case there is someone trying to figure things out just like I am. It is my first time with Australorps and I don't have much to compare to.

As for your girls - it sounds like I may have 3 boys one girl, if none of yours have started to develop wattles yet. That's too bad. I love the Australorps so far - so calm and not skiddish. We cannot keep them all - Not enough hens and we would be worried about the fights. I will wait a bit longer to see how they develop. It's not over until it's over. None have started to crow yet but I'm not hopeful.

I also love the "blue" colour though next year I would look into getting some black - The green shimmer of their feathers is so nice. I did not get any this year because I had hoped to get my hands on some black copper marans (which never worked out) and wanted a variety of colours in the flock.

Thanks again for the reply! Best of luck with your girls!

We do have them here. I have a Blue Australorp rooster, and some Blue Australorp hens. I also have the Splash colored ones, and the Black ones. Mine are the breeder's type though, not the hatchery ones.

Thanks for the reply! I figure it's always nice to post the progression of chicks, just in case there is someone trying to figure things out just like I am. It is my first time with Australorps and I don't have much to compare to.

As for your girls - it sounds like I may have 3 boys one girl, if none of yours have started to develop wattles yet. That's too bad. I love the Australorps so far - so calm and not skiddish. We cannot keep them all - Not enough hens and we would be worried about the fights. I will wait a bit longer to see how they develop. It's not over until it's over. None have started to crow yet but I'm not hopeful.

I also love the "blue" colour though next year I would look into getting some black - The green shimmer of their feathers is so nice. I did not get any this year because I had hoped to get my hands on some black copper marans (which never worked out) and wanted a variety of colours in the flock.

Thanks again for the reply! Best of luck with your girls!

I agree about the progression! I like to see it too. I'll take some pics of my girls this afternoon so you can see for comparison. There was some debate about their gender a few weeks back due to feathering. My first time with Australorps as well. I just love them!

Back
Top Bottom