Australorps breed Thread

Good to see you in a thread here again! Sometimes they will lay the eggs on the ground or even on the roosting board. It seem's that they all want to lay in the same nesting box. There has been a few times that I went out there, and would catch 2 already in the nesting box and a third one trying to get in. That's usually when I will later find an egg on the ground right outside of that nesting box. My guess is that it was that third hen that did it.
Nice to hear you, too! :frow Moreover I noticed that they are even more jealous of their eggs than my hybrid laying hens (Harcos and Isa browns) in fact if one of my aussies is still on the nest but I want to take her egg, she will try to bite me and will not move a millimeter :lau

Nice to hear you, too! :frow Moreover I noticed that they are even more jealous of their eggs than my hybrid laying hens (Harcos and Isa browns) in fact if one of my aussies is still on the nest but I want to take her egg, she will try to bite me and will not move a millimeter :lau

I know what you mean. I use one of those paint stirring sticks to back my hens off the nest enough to get the eggs. I had bought some cans of paint at the hardware store awhile back, and they told me to take some of those paint stirring sticks, so I had extra unused ones sitting around.

Very excited about my new Black Australorps. I have had them in the past and enjoyed them immensely. Just got them today, they are 6 weeks old.. And look like pure. The breeder stated they were. I also checked out the feet on them. =) And they fit the foot! lol
DSC00090.JPG

30 days in Quarantine they go... <3

It seems to me that your chicks are pure Black Australorps :thumbsup
I also have aussie chicks at the moment and they are almost 2 months old, too. They are identical to yours! :celebrate
I know it's still too soon but what gender do you think they are?

I've had them before, so I am pretty confident I have all females. There is one that has a slightly larger comb but it is very slight and no hint of pink at all. He definitely had some with larger and pink combs.. I was just tickled pink he let me choose what I wanted.

Hello BA people. My wife had a major heart attack 4 weeks ago and I have some health issues also, but Pat is doing much better. I have broken down my breeding pens and the future with BBS Aussies is unknown. I will check in on here regularly to keep in touch with y'all.
Kurt

Back
Top Bottom