Australorps breed Thread

I see pictures of people claiming to have BA's, but their eyes are not solid black. Someone even argued with me that BA's only appear to have solid black eyes when they're not in the sunlight.

Last edited:
Cheryl, It has been a while. The BA thread seems to have slowed down. I am in remission now and taking it day by day. What is the new fad chicken this year? There is always a new one that everybody wants!
Kurt
Hello Kurt, I'm just now seeing this. I'm so sorry to hear of your health. Hope you're getting back to wellness soon. I wasn't active on BBC last year. I sold a few dozen hatching eggs. Soon I will post what pens I have set up so that people can choose which hatching eggs. Merry Christmas and Wishing a Blessed New Year to you and Pat!

Maybe I can kick start this thread. I have 3 BA's. Had one and loved her, she is very quiet, and sweet. She would get on my husband's knee and coo at him.
Then I got 2 BA chicks. Well as with any species, no two are the same. Our first BA was named Teriyaki, so we stayed with the theme and named the next 2, Saki and Rumaki. Well both chicks grew up to be slightly larger than Teriyaki and after they started laying began bullying her. She had ruled over them before they started laying so maybe it was payback. Well, they have since then made peace and are getting along. We tell the two younger BA's apart because one has light brown eyes while the other has black eyes. Rumaki the one with black eyes is NOISY!! We call her grumpy, she complains all the time with a loud annoying cackle. So much for being a quiet breed. There are always exceptions. She is friendly though.

I have 3 though I'm pretty sure the two 4 year olds from Meyer have some Jersey Giant in them. Black legs, yellow foot bottoms, they are a somewhat "talky". Both are laying this year though one of them had really soft shells last year. They seem OK so far this year but we will see. The 8 year old from Ideal has gray legs and pink foot bottoms per the spec. She will talk to me when I talk to her, otherwise she's very quiet, hasn't laid this year though she did last year.

I chose Black Australorps as the anchors of my next generation flock after doing way more research than any normal person should on the topic :D

Right now they are still chicks. So far they're super friendly and always perching on my arm or head and are usually the first to greet me. :)

My last chicks would peck me a little bit, but these girls don't peck, they grab hold and pull!! Thought I was going to lose a finger a couple of times ;) :D :D

I pity the worm!
3xe2dr.jpg

Back
Top Bottom