Australorps breed Thread

I have 3 though I'm pretty sure the two 4 year olds from Meyer have some Jersey Giant in them.

Interesting. Of my 4 started pullets from Meyer, 1 has a couple leg feathers. I enjoy them and they're not for breeding so it's no big deal to me, but clearly Meyer's australorp lines aren't perfect. I guess that happens with hatchery birds but was interested to see another Meyer australorp odd ball.

Appreciate the insights!

Anyone know what age the pullets start to show red combs? We have 8 australorps that are 3.5 weeks old and 3 have red combs. The rest have black or yellow combs.

Anything showing red at that age is a cockerel. Pullets won't start pinking up until they are much closer to laying age.
I didn't realize we could already sex some of them this early. I read australorps take a long time to be able to sex. I guess it's still too early to sex the pullets, though.

Hi BYC folks,
Haven't posted in a long while, but I have to give a shout out to my oldest Australop, Teriyaki. She is the HERO of my flock. More than once she has been the one to alert us that the flock is in danger. A couple of days ago she saved two of my hens from a fox. She came up on the stairs to our kitchen door and started screaming. Normally she is pretty quiet, so when I saw it was her I knew there was something wrong, so I ran out to check and a fox had my Orpington. As I was running down I started shouting, screaming, he dropped her but then grabbed my Barred Rock, but I kept screaming and he dropped her and fled, terrified. After about a half hour, all were accounted for and in good health. Big Bird, the Orpington had lost a lot of feathers, but she has lots to spare. 20190712_184524.jpg

Attachments

• 20191215_154634.jpg
    20191215_154634.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom