Australorps breed Thread

The Whole Family, enjoying some Scratch Time:

The Wilco 5, 2 weeks old, today. The Homegrowns, 2 weeks old tomorrow

loveit.gif

Thank you for the pictures!

Ron

My whole flock had it last fall. I didn't treat it with anything. It is self limiting and if your birds have a normal immune system they will recover with a life long immunity. If you feel you need to treat it you can use Neosporin antibiotic ointment to prevent any secondary bacterial infection. Pox is a virus and is unaffected by any antibiotics. It is closely related to the chicken pox that children get.
So, would that be called Children Pox, when chickens get it???

Hey guys! I am thinking about getting some Australorps, I live in the city and i'm looking for some chickens that are known to be... a bit more quiet, i've heard that the are pretty quiet chickens?

Hey guys! I am thinking about getting some Australorps, I live in the city and i'm looking for some chickens that are known to be... a bit more quiet, i've heard that the are pretty quiet chickens?
On Average they are. They still make noise when they lay an egg but are generally very calm.

Much quieter than my Silver Gray Dorking pullet! Oh My
th.gif

Ron

Hi Cindy,
it's hard to tell from one pic, but your roo looks as good as any American boy I've seen. He needs a quality harem! Beg steal or borrow some nice girls and share the progeny if you can. Glad he survived the pox. How did you treat it, as one of my best girls has got it? Still laying but she has one 'grey eye' that I've been treating and horrid swellings/growths/tumours on her face. She still eats like crazy! Hatched 10 Aussie chickens in the 'bator. Doing well. Love my R-com 50. It's really idiot-proof. Less in love with ceramic reptile heating bulbs. Wish I'd never heard of them! Don't raise the temp. more than 12 degrees above outside temp. in an unheated shed and the hot spot is limited so chickens have to cluster together to keep warm. A truely crap item at a big price!
Cheers Geoff from Aus
Geoff, I agree, he is a handsome fellow. Something magical happened when tigercreek bred these last spring. I have 3 girls from the same hatch, and Ingrid and I will be working to make sure these birds continue.

I think every bird in my flock has had fowl pox this year. Most of the time I did nothing, but after loosing one bird, I have started treating with LA 200 when it appears that they have secondary infections. We have had above average rainfall, so their immune systems are really being tested this year.

Thank you for letting us know that the ceramic heating bulbs aren't working well. I have thought about buying them.

cindy

I find that the Red Stars from mypetchicken.com are super duper quiet. They do like to knock on the patio door if I don't get them a treat when they want it. I had problems with one recently only because my favorite hen, a quiet easter egger, died and that somehow caused my red one, Henley, to start cackling in the morning anytime the other remaining two hens were out of sight plus she started cackling after egg laying when she used to not do so. The other 2 hens don't make a peep after laying. During laying you hear noises but not if you aren't outside in the yard with them. I just got 2 australorp chicks and they are pretty noisy babies. If they cackle a lot after laying I may have to get rid of them next year. But I have to at least TRY the breed out for all the other qualities that fit my wanted characteristics. I also got golden sexlinks and they are by far the friendliest sweetest chicks I have. The australorps are the most curious chicks I have but they are also super friendly. They love to climb on my hand so I can bring them out of the box to have a look around. So what I recommend friends to do is to get one of each chick you are interested in and determine which one you like the best, find new homes for those you don't through a local freecycle group (ex. clovisfreecycle) on Yahoo or some other free to post group, then buy some chicks from the same place you got the ones you like. I find that each brood of chicks is different and there is no guarantee that any breed will follow the characteristics of someone else's brood. Hope this helps!

Carla
Clovis, CA

Back
Top Bottom