Australorps breed Thread

Quote:
You are more likely to get broody hens from Show Quality Breeder stock. With Aussies that is harder because there are so few that are not from a hatchery. Mine are 1.5 years old and none of the 4 of them has ever acted broody.

Where did others get their broody BA's from?

Ours came from a show barn in ithaca ny , not sure if they even still have them.., Bob whitney gave me a rooster, and husbands free roaming murray mcmurray and cackle hatchery hens ..my timing was never lining up for these..the hens from ithaca ny were too old by the time bob whitney gave me the rooster, they lived a good long life too. died between 13 and 15 years old..they were really nice birds..I think that barn was switching over to a bantam show breed, blue wheaten something..saw an add for them many years ago, went right up and picked up hens..thought it would be easy to find a decent rooster, it wasnt..

I sent some hatching eggs to a wonderful family in La..they had some decent hens, hatched a decent cockeral from mine, crossed them, sold the extra cockerals, a little boy in franklin co won show champion with one of them , this family had good hens and must have thrown back to whitney birds..havnt heard how hes doing but they said he plans to travel around and show the bird. he won his way to kentucky 4h show if I remember right..and was going to show jr apa..so that was nice. the magic just wasnt happening for me..i was just glad somone was keeping them going..they are still my favorite breed for many reasons.

Last edited:
Thread Starter: CallDucks:

*For talking about the Australop breed and it's colour's including White,Blue,And slplash. Pics are welcomed *

i have just my first dozen of black Australop chicks to day. I hope to get a few blue of splash chicks this year to

When did the thread become only for North American Breeds? That is not mentioned in the first post.

In the Spirit of BYC, we should include everyone here.

Edited to correct spelling

I agree........ this thread is for Australorps, it shouldn't matter what country they are from.

Walt

I'm so glad we are back to talking about Aussies again. In response to broody hens. I seem to have a bumper crop of them this year. I'm beginning to think there is something in the water LOL. Two of my 7 1/2 month old pullets decided to go broody. One gave up after a day but still hasn't gone back to laying. I even gave her a warm bath and checked her vent. The other is still sitting. After a week when I was sure it was for real I gave her marked eggs to sit on they are due to hatch in two weeks.
The rest of my flock has had 3 broody hens at any given time. I will be glad when it cools down a bit.

You are more likely to get broody hens from Show Quality Breeder stock. With Aussies that is harder because there are so few that are not from a hatchery. Mine are 1.5 years old and none of the 4 of them has ever acted broody.

Where did others get their broody BA's from?
Both mine were hatchery hens who went broody. One within 2 months of starting to lay, and one at 2.5 yrs. old

I am sooooo glad we are back to talking Aussies and the arguing is over. I only have 13 Ba's at this time because I sold alot of babies. After 3 years of breeding and major culling I still only have one broody hen that is a year old. My original breeding stock came from Duane Urch and Dundee came from another breeder line. I have no hatchery stock in the mix. I have sold or culled alot of Dundees sons but I kept this years best cockerel and named him
"Coal". Now I have to concentrate on only breeding fathers to daughters and mothers to sons because you will ruin a flock in less than a year breeding brothers and sisters. Believe you me there is alot of that going on in the various chicken breeds.

I am sooooo glad we are back to talking Aussies and the arguing is over. I only have 13 Ba's at this time because I sold alot of babies. After 3 years of breeding and major culling I still only have one broody hen that is a year old. My original breeding stock came from Duane Urch and Dundee came from another breeder line. I have no hatchery stock in the mix. I have sold or culled alot of Dundees sons but I kept this years best cockerel and named him
"Coal". Now I have to concentrate on only breeding fathers to daughters and mothers to sons because you will ruin a flock in less than a year breeding brothers and sisters. Believe you me there is alot of that going on in the various chicken breeds.
Thank you for the breeding reminder. I will need to do this soon.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom