Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Woodland, CA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi All!

I am so happy that BYC is allowing us to focus on SOP and breeding for Showing!

This thread is for Standard Bred Australorps.

I will be adding to this post so if you have suggestions for the first post, Let me know!

Pictures, pictures and a few more pictures please! My babies are just over the 6 week mark and I'd like to see what to aim for.

Hi and Welcome!

Hopefully we can get some or the Breeders to Post some pictures soon.

Last edited:
Ron, thanks for starting this thread. I hope it will be helpful, as I try to get my little SOP breeding program up, and running.

I hope it helps too!

It is great that you are working to improve them to Standard!

Oh my!!! those ladies are amazing!!! Thank you for showing what those of us who are seeking to produce a better bird can aspire to!

Thank you Ron for taking on the task of separating the amateurs and backyard flocks from the pros and in the process creating a safe place for all to post and learn. Someday I might post on here but for now I will post my pics on the "other" Aussie thread and roost h ere quietly and learn
pop.gif

Last edited:
Hi everyone just thought I would post on this thread so I could subscribe. I have posted these pics before on the other Australorp Thread but I will post them on this thread anyway just to get a few pics up. Most of mine are moulting at the moment so I will post new pics when they get their new lovely feathers.

They look very good.

For learning purposes, what are you working on with them?

Oh my!!! those ladies are amazing!!! Thank you for showing what those of us who are seeking to produce a better bird can aspire to!

Thank you Ron for taking on the task of separating the amateurs and backyard flocks from the pros and in the process creating a safe place for all to post and learn. Someday I might post on here but for now I will post my pics on the "other" Aussie thread and roost h ere quietly and learn
pop.gif

I had a light bulb moment recently. I was at the Fresno Show in California & was poring over the SOP with another chicken lovin' friend of mine when Walt Leonard (an APA judge) happened by. We called him over for some insight. He was not judging that show & was kind enough to help us out with our query. Having had both Black Australorps & Black Orpingtons I was comparing the descriptions in the SOP trying to note the differences. They seem to read the same to me & I was not convinced I could tell them apart if I ever got them all together (which I never did). I always kept them separated. Walt pointed to the SOP for the answer, not the printed descriptions that I was studying & comparing but the pictures (drawings). That was my Ah ...ha.... moment. When comparing the pictures the difference was apparent.........................I was always disappointed that they didn't have pictures instead of drawings but now I understand. You can have an artist draw the perfect bird in each breed but it is probably impossible to find a perfect bird in each breed & gender to photograph...Thank you Walt.......................

I had a light bulb moment recently. I was at the Fresno Show in California & was poring over the SOP with another chicken lovin' friend of mine when Walt Leonard (an APA judge) happened by. We called him over for some insight. He was not judging that show & was kind enough to help us out with our query. Having had both Black Australorps & Black Orpingtons I was comparing the descriptions in the SOP trying to note the differences. They seem to read the same to me & I was not convinced I could tell them apart if I ever got them all together (which I never did). I always kept them separated. Walt pointed to the SOP for the answer, not the printed descriptions that I was studying & comparing but the pictures (drawings). That was my Ah ...ha.... moment. When comparing the pictures the difference was apparent.........................I was always disappointed that they didn't have pictures instead of drawings but now I understand. You can have an artist draw the perfect bird in each breed but it is probably impossible to find a perfect bird in each breed & gender to photograph...Thank you Walt.......................

Those are great points!

Hatching the Blue Genetics Australorps from Hupp Farms was so different from the Cackle Australorps. They look similar but they have a wider frame.

My pullets are here at the house and the Cock Birds are at a place in Winters. I need to see how they are. I did have a Blue boy out there but a fox might have gotten him.

The Pullets need to have more red in the face and there is a cushion.

Back
Top Bottom